Author Topic: Todays Zaman under threat  (Read 3816 times)

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Re: Todays Zaman under threat
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 12:02:05 PM »
Yes an interesting article on prisoner numbers in Turkey.  Although I picked up on the article by an American woman on Turkey and the absence of trust, and why Turkey will never be at ease with itself, its neighbours and its citizens unless it learns to trust.  Please read this article, you can find it in the link in John's post above.  It really does say it all for me what is wrong with Turkey.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 12:11:14 PM »
With the exception of a couple, these articles were all written just before the gates were chained and premises invaded.  I was under the impression that it was blocked in Turkey, obviously not - although it maybe to those who use TTNet's DNS, I'm sure you (UBT) don't.

JF

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 13:59:57 PM »
According to a BBC report on Today's Zaman, ex-Zaman staff have founded a new paper. If anyone has info or links I'd be pleased if it was posted here.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2016, 14:19:09 PM »
The BBC reports aren't entirely accurate.  It looks like they have moved to an existing online newspaper, Yarina Bakis.  I think it was a technology news site prior to the weekend, as opposed to a general news and current affairs site.

JF

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2016, 15:10:13 PM »
Pity I can't find an English version but I see they have a pictorial heading featuring Reporters Without Borders and Amnesty International.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2016, 15:29:32 PM »
Sorry,  meant to say in Turkish only for now.

JF

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2016, 23:47:23 PM »

It's noticeable that there isn't a huge global outcry from fellow journalist's over the Zaman, and the dozens of other

press infringements. There is usually a mass outpouring of condemnation and a show of solidarity.  Strange.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2016, 10:51:31 AM »
Not sure that's entirely true Kevin, it's been covered pretty extensively in both foreign and Turkish publications.  The problem domestically is that every journalist who doesn't write for a pro government publication is treading a fine line over what they want to write, and what may earn them a free All Inclusive holiday in the Silivri Penitentiaries Campus.

Mustafa Akyol wrote a good article in HDN today - the most important part being:

Over the past seven years, at least seven major centrist Turkish newspapers magically turned into pro-Erdoğan mouthpieces. The magic was in the economic suffocation of their bosses. These bosses either had to sell the papers to new bosses, (who all turned out to be best buddies of the president), or accept giving the whole control of their media to president-approved “charge of affairs.”

Scary stuff.  In fact its close approaching 95% of media outlets in Turkey that are all now pro-Erdoğan and as the article says, its happened over the past seven years which indicates its been a long term strategy.  Is it any wonder the average man or woman in the street (particularly in mid Anatolia and the East) blindly believe everything they're told by the government?

JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf