Author Topic: Volunteers Needed to Talk to Kids  (Read 2734 times)

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
Volunteers Needed to Talk to Kids
« on: May 05, 2016, 12:59:02 PM »
I hope nobody from the 3Cs minds me posting in this section, but I wasn't sure where else to put this and it's a project they fund.....

The English Learning House in Günlükbaşı is run by a lovely couple previously from Istanbul, Yaşar and Arzu. They are true philanthropists, wanting to help some of the more disadvantaged local children improve their English, and the centre opened about 18 months ago.

I and several other British ex-pats have led daily hour-long sessions/lessons, usually once a week each; however, with one of our number having returned to the UK and a couple more of us struggling with other commitments, the responsibility is falling more heavily on just one or two people.

If anyone would like to join us from the start of the new school year after summer then please do let me know. The more the merrier, as it would mean we could break the groups of children down further depending on their ages and abilities.

The kids are excitable and can be boisterous, but they are also very enthusiastic and affectionate, and being part of the English Learning House has been very rewarding. We are planning an end-of-year party so if anybody was interested in becoming one of the 'teachers', that might be a good opportunity to come and check us out....

Any potential volunteers, please feel free to message me about this or with any questions.   :)

Offline Pi55y

Re: Volunteers Needed to Talk to Kids
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 10:53:02 AM »
This is a really great project and one that the 3Cs have supported from the start by by paying the rent on the premises, kitting out the classrooms and providing books and other misc. Items. Pete and I have sat in on many of the sessions over the past 2 years and the kids are great, so enthusiastic, and the project is really working. If anyone can spare a couple of hours a week to help at the centre, we can guarantee that they will enjoy themselves. A bonus is that as well as helping the children to learn English it also helps the volunteers to learn Turkish.

Offline incir

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 14:20:08 PM »
Does the project run just throughout the school year or during the holidays too?

Offline Pi55y

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 09:22:09 AM »
They ususally close for the main school holidays  Incir

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 14:52:31 PM »
Much as I hate to say this this post may attract more interest on the expat forum on Facebook...

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 19:11:11 PM »
I have shared this post over there Nichola.  Not that it will do much good if they're not members here but we can try

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 23:38:40 PM »
Three people expressing interest...   :)

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 06:42:22 AM »
About to message them, thanks.   :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf