Author Topic: DNA Testing for genealogy  (Read 6348 times)

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
Re: DNA Testing for genealogy
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 11:00:15 AM »
Thanks for the reminder. My sister has ordered & we're splitting the cost.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 13:23:52 PM »
Ancestry is best in My opinion, you can then upload to the others for free x

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 14:14:37 PM »

What does the one at Home and Bargain do?

Gets you an invite to appear on The Jeremy Kyle Show, and a chance of a winning an all expenses paid trip to America to appear on The Jerry Springer Show.
Best you don't do it mate, results would keep David Attenborough busy for a fortnight!

JF

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 14:49:31 PM »
Oh and look for a free shipping code too! Every little helps as they say. Kayakebab, you say you are splitting the cost between your sister, is that because you think you will get the same dna results. Although we inherit 50% off each of our parents. But our share of it might be different for each sibling. So like a bag of marbles, my %might be be blue,red and green. My sister's might be blue yellow and orange. Something I was a bit shocked about. Thought if you shared same parents it would be same as my sibling..All interesting stuff. I didn't know anything about this until January this year. Now I'm a little bit addicted.

Offline sadler

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 15:02:51 PM »
I find that I am becoming addicted too Bernie. I have joined a family history group with my local U3A and have recently subscribed to Ancestry.co. Am spending hours researching and my next step is to get my DNA analysed! A real time waster.   ;)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2017, 15:12:44 PM »
I signed up to Ancestry.com a long while ago. I keep getting emails from them to tell me they've got information on my family. The problem is, each email tells me a different name for my father.

I feel just like Trigger when he had to admit that when his Mum registered his birth she put "Some Soldiers" for his Dad's name.

;)

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2017, 16:13:45 PM »
Aww kkob we used to say that to our mom..Our dad was some soldiers..Lol.They bring up all possibilities on your tree.Do the dna..No doubt then dna don't lie :D
Sadlerhave been doing this for years since I found out my paternal grandad died in all saints lunatic asylum when my dad was 5 ..(I know you lot the Apple didn't fall too far n all that) none knew anything about him other than his name and where he died..Not sleeping sickness as me mother used to say. A kind genealogist at the registry office found him and I was able to get a death cert for him.That was treasured for years thinking I would never find Alf Smith..Until I looked and saw the person who registered his death was a son in law..The rest as they say is history. Grandad worked in a factory and his arm was caught in a press and crushed. He got septasemia and took 3 months to die from his Injuries..

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2017, 17:05:27 PM »

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2017, 18:47:30 PM »
Oh and look for a free shipping code too! Every little helps as they say. Kayakebab, you say you are splitting the cost between your sister, is that because you think you will get the same dna results. Although we inherit 50% off each of our parents. But our share of it might be different for each sibling. So like a bag of marbles, my %might be be blue,red and green. My sister's might be blue yellow and orange. Something I was a bit shocked about. Thought if you shared same parents it would be same as my sibling..All interesting stuff. I didn't know anything about this until January this year. Now I'm a little bit addicted.
The main reason we want to do it is because my dad refuses to reveal anything about his dad and says he doesn't know anything.
We frequently get asked if we have foreign blood so hoping for some clue as to whether there is anything other than English. 

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2017, 19:18:22 PM »
I have a subscription pm me if you want me to look up anything. Also you can start your tree now on ancestry, but save your 2 week free trial until you get your DNA back. Or you and your sister make a tree, one use free trial now. Let me know if you want any searches done Bernx

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf