Author Topic: When was Calis a Swamp??  (Read 5781 times)

Offline philrose

Re: When was Calis a Swamp??
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 06:49:08 AM »
Thanks but there is no date, does anyone know what the date was.  I am surprised anyone would remember it.
The photo of the railway would be around  the 1930's. If you walk out towards the Sat restaurant you can still see parts of the steel track.

Offline philrose

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 07:40:15 AM »
Another one with a slightly better view of the "swamplands" supposedly in the late 1940's

Offline philrose

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 07:43:49 AM »
This one is in the 1970's still not much of Calis to be seen

Offline jsp51

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2017, 07:59:44 AM »
Still is a swamp isn't it?  You only have to look at where no building has took place and it's full of rushes and bamboo. That's what's under your houses and that's what it was like all over in early 90's.

Offline philrose

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2017, 08:18:15 AM »
Err.. Actually no. Things have moved on, the last of the waterlogged areas were drained the early 2000's. There is hardly any land left that is not built on, let alone any with bulrushes...

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2017, 08:44:49 AM »
i first visited that area in the early 80's and Calis had a lot of swampland then, and not much else to be honest. Olu Deniz had a camping site. We stayed at the very first hotel built in Olu later on, loved that place back in the early days, it was a true corner of paradise.

Offline Daffodil

• Newly Registered
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2017, 08:56:17 AM »
I think the drainage work was done in 2003 not 2005 as I mistakenly said earlier. I came over on the water taxi and couldn't walk around the streets so just had a quick drink on the front and went back to Fethiye.
In Fethiye when I first saw it there were no high rise flats on the left going up the hill to Ovacik. We went out for dinner one night and met a man who was supplying all the doors for one of the first high rise blocks and instead of being paid in cash he was being given one or two of the apartments.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 09:09:18 AM by Fabian »

Offline philrose

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2017, 09:24:14 AM »
Olu in the 80's...

Offline Daffodil

• Newly Registered
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2017, 10:11:55 AM »
All these photos are really interesting. It is amazing how development can happen in such a short time.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2017, 10:23:52 AM »
When we bought in Koca Calis in 2003 it was still very much a swamp out there. We were warned off by one guy but we decided to risk it as we loved the feel of the area and how rural it seemed vs Calis.

14 years on it's now becoming much more built up and the flooding appears to be getting brought under control (since Muski took over).

I'm still hearing odd reports that a marina is going to happen and I can see that the area is certainly on the up. Some big villas gone up and a few hotels on the way I'm told. Scunner might be interested to know that a house like his old one on our sitesi has just sold for £47k and another has gone up at £62k. Most are being bought by Turkish families - and one or two are actually living on our sitesi all year now.

I loved the old Koca Calis but it was swampy and the mozzies were rife. They are much less of a problem these days.

Now the dogs ............

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf