Author Topic: does anyone remember Hunters Bar?  (Read 1933 times)

Offline itgirl

does anyone remember Hunters Bar?
« on: February 24, 2018, 12:09:28 PM »
Hi, looking through the posts of the old post office, had me thinking about the first time we ever visited Calis this was 1998, and we have been regulars ever since. I was wondering if anyone had any photos or remembers Hunters Bar on the front? there was also a Chinese a few doors down that had wild boar on the menu. I remember every night having to eat with a candle as there was always a power cut  :). we also remember all the staff lived downstairs at the hunters, and when you went down to the toilet there were mattresses, and at times sleeping staff grabbing some sleep before their shift started again. Am I right in thinking that the Hunters bar is Aidens now?. I also visited the Doctor who had a shack that I think was where the dolphin roundabout is, and that was a very unreal experience it was like going back in time. Any photos would be much appreciated as we lost all ours of the old Calis some years ago.
Thanks in advance Mel

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: does anyone remember Hunters Bar?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 13:04:03 PM »
My recollection of 1998 times is that lots of places claimed to have "wild boar" on the menu. I suspected that it was just a cover for illegally smuggled pork chops brought in by German and British tourists. In Turkish culture's interpretation of halal (but I don't think any other country's) wild boar doesn't count as pig so is permitted in Islam. A long time since I last saw wild boar on menus; thanks for reminding me.

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 19:16:34 PM »
The last place I saw wild boar regularly on a menu was when Bostan's was on the front & they had wild boar as part of their bbq nights

Offline Ally B

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 19:46:27 PM »
Yes Hunters sold wild boar and Nil and Orient had full lamb on the spit,the aroma on the prom was something else. The owner of Hunters was married to Irish Lizzie who had a bar which really was just a garden shed with chairs outside along where the Letoon is.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf