Author Topic: Something none of us want to think about but .........  (Read 3717 times)

Offline Brookerbb

Something none of us want to think about but .........
« on: November 26, 2018, 10:34:19 AM »
having just sadly attended several x-pat funerals I am wondering if there is any advanced provision I can make to protect our daughters, in England, from having to cope with an unfamiliar burial  procedure should both their parents die together. ie can you choose which cemetry to be buried in? Do papers have to be signed before you can be buried? Can this be done from the UK ? Who in Calis/Fethiye is responsible for overseeeing the committal if no relatives are present? I should like to have some plans in place so that the burden does not fall on our daughters' shoulders. Sorry if this is a hard post to consider.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: Something none of us want to think about but .........
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 12:16:46 PM »
I think the first thing for them to understand is how a Muslim burial is carried-out i.e. the body isn't intered in a coffin. That also applies to the bodies of foreigners buried in Turkey.

Depending on your and your daughter's religious beliefs, they may find that part traumatic and you might find it useful to find out about repatriation of bodies to the UK.

Offline Saga Louts

• Newly Registered
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 16:56:36 PM »
Our friend was buried in a coffin, though very basic. Other friends warned us body might only be wrapped in a shroud or that the coffin might not have a lid.the whole thing was very tastefully done. You do remain by the grave while it is filled. Throw a flower in first then lay rest of bunch on filled grave. Headstones are quite expensive but then they are in England as well.

Offline lynne

• Birmingham, UK
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 17:42:32 PM »
Repatriation to the UK can be very expensive - the Coroner in the UK is also involved to clarify an Inquest isn't needed.  It can often be complicated if the cause of death isn't clear on the paperwork. 

Offline Brookerbb

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 19:02:52 PM »
Thanks for you responses. I certainly don't wish my body  to be repatriated. I would just like to know more about how to organise a burial here,

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 19:22:10 PM »
The Zabita Polis organise burials for expats and if you go their office located in the Fethiye Council Offices above Migros you'll be able to get information, written in English, on the process.

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 22:20:17 PM »
When we enquired Martyn was impressed that it was free to be buried. The only cost seemed to be about £38 or might have even been tl have the body washed. There was a mention of the council providing flowers or a flower arrangement on a upright board. The other thing that comes to mind is something about death certificates. If you were with a private doctor you had to wait a while to get it issued, so that info made us register with the local gp practise, as well as the private one. This ensures if we died one could be issued immediately. There is a yabanci cemetery on top of hill towards ovacik. I think unless you specified otherwise that's where you go!

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 06:55:03 AM »
I've been to a couple of funerals, at both there was a coffin, though there were metal boxes. There are yabanci sections in Catalarik & Foca cemeteries.

Offline jackstee

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 10:07:19 AM »
A couple of years ago a company was advertised on here. It was a Turkish company that would obtain a plot of land  and
organised the whole procedure.
You could pre pay for the whole thing now and whenever you passed it would be carried out.
I tried to contact them but no reply on the numbers or mail.

Maybe someone knows of them.

Offline davybill

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 10:45:25 AM »
Yes our friends were buried over here at the one on the hill.
They both had coffins which were requested earler.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf