Author Topic: Should Pensioners Benefit?  (Read 3577 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Should Pensioners Benefit?
« on: January 05, 2014, 17:58:26 PM »
The Prime Minister said today he would “triple lock” state pensions and then the leader of the opposition said the same. So, both main parties support the proposition that state pensioners should be protected from the “economic realities” with which most of the rest of the population have to cope. As a pensioner, I suppose I should say “Ta very much!” and pat myself on the back saying “I worked for it: I deserve it”. But I do wonder whether this special treatment for pensioners is fair – especially to people of my children’s generation. I haven’t made up my mind on this yet. Perhaps your comments will help me do so.

Earlier I listened to Frank Field, a man for whom I have tremendous respect, arguing that, whilst nobody would want to deny pensioner claims, there were many others in society who had deserving claims. Why should they be taxed more in order to pay for protection for pensioners whilst they themselves were unprotected? What about the disabled who find their benefits cut? Or those working families who have to rely on foodbanks? Shouldn’t we have a debate on this country’s priorities in this matter? This would lead me to the conclusion that we pensioners could not justify special treatment. But ...

I also think that we would never have got not only the pension benefits but also the NHS, Health & Safety at work protection, sickness pay, unfair dismissal legislation, maternity leave and a host of other things now taken for granted if my generation and the couple generations before had not fought for these things. Especially those involved in the Labour Movement – the Party but, more so, the Trade Unions. Nothing was given because it was “just” or “fair” but through struggle. And nothing was achieved by giving up the gains made “Because the country can’t afford it any more”.  So when I’m told that I can have my pension increases but only at the cost of people in worse straits than me suffering more I want to point at executive double digit pay rises, bankers bonuses, Amazon’s tax dodging, HS2, Trident nukes, and even – trivial as it is – MPs 17% “fair” salary increase.

I am aware that in first part of what I have written I am being reflective; in the second I am soap-boxing. Which way should I go?

Offline peter16

Re: Should Pensioners Benefit?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 19:40:17 PM »
You should carry on as you are.Reflection and soap-boxing in the same post are perfectly allowable when they are reasonable and fairly balanced  :) 8)

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 20:12:59 PM »
Did you consider: "thank you David - always had a soft spot for you old chap - you can count on my vote in 2015".     :)

Ps that is what he is hoping for and you wouldn't want to disappoint him would you???
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 20:33:44 PM by Ian »

Offline cef

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 22:33:48 PM »
The Prime Minister said today he would “triple lock” state pensions and then the leader of the opposition said the same. So, both main parties support the proposition that state pensioners should be protected from the “economic realities” with which most of the rest of the population have to cope. As a pensioner, I suppose I should say “Ta very much!” and pat myself on the back saying “I worked for it: I deserve it”. But I do wonder whether this special treatment for pensioners is fair – especially to people of my children’s generation. I haven’t made up my mind on this yet. Perhaps your comments will help me do so.

Earlier I listened to Frank Field, a man for whom I have tremendous respect, arguing that, whilst nobody would want to deny pensioner claims, there were many others in society who had deserving claims. Why should they be taxed more in order to pay for protection for pensioners whilst they themselves were unprotected? What about the disabled who find their benefits cut? Or those working families who have to rely on foodbanks? Shouldn’t we have a debate on this country’s priorities in this matter? This would lead me to the conclusion that we pensioners could not justify special treatment. But ...

I also think that we would never have got not only the pension benefits but also the NHS, Health & Safety at work protection, sickness pay, unfair dismissal legislation, maternity leave and a host of other things now taken for granted if my generation and the couple generations before had not fought for these things. Especially those involved in the Labour Movement – the Party but, more so, the Trade Unions. Nothing was given because it was “just” or “fair” but through struggle. And nothing was achieved by giving up the gains made “Because the country can’t afford it any more”.  So when I’m told that I can have my pension increases but only at the cost of people in worse straits than me suffering more I want to point at executive double digit pay rises, bankers bonuses, Amazon’s tax dodging, HS2, Trident nukes, and even – trivial as it is – MPs 17% “fair” salary increase.

I am aware that in first part of what I have written I am being reflective; in the second I am soap-boxing. Which way should I go?

All very honest valid points & thoughts Colwyn   :)  It's the reasonable, modern man/woman's, dilemma............

If only our so-called 'better's' would, could, reflect along the same lines........... 'somewhere in the middle' instead of the 'extremes' that exist & rule

But, that's Not going to happen without a lot of adversity........  Money, greed, power & corruption rule the world we live in, more so now than ever before.  I fear it will take another World War for the world to regain some semblance of humanity, humility, honesty & compassion  :(

I hope I'm wrong, we all deserve better :(

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 07:25:14 AM »
Quote from: Colwyn link=topic=

Earlier I listened to Frank Field,

[/quote
I liked listening to him too, yodelling away, I remember you. swiss maid etc. great songs.  ;)  :)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 09:32:18 AM »
Not really getting the knack of this "quote" thing. eh Des?

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 10:02:42 AM »
  ;)  ;)  ;)  Gotcha.   :)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 11:00:41 AM »
Looks like the winter fuel payments for the 'better off' pensioners might go to help pay for it.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 18:39:09 PM »
A couple of years ago I posted about "militant pensioners" and warned politicians about messing with the generation of people, especially those of us who came to political awareness in the 1960s, that are the most likely to actually vote in elections. A few minutes ago I was listening to Frank Field again being interviewed about the special privileges promised to pensioners. He recalled that during one speech in the last General Election Dave Cameron announced that the Conservatives would have to consider removing free local bus passes. Polling then showed that Tory support amongst pensioners had dropped by 4%; on the same day Tory policy toward pensioners was changed and pensioner benefits were guaranteed. Field's conclusion? Cameron is scared to death of losing the pensioner vote.

Offline Lotty

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 03:12:39 AM »
Ooooh! Power!   :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf