Author Topic: Facebook - Love it ? Hate it ?  (Read 6852 times)

Offline janmack

Re: Facebook - Love it ? Hate it ?
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2014, 11:51:05 AM »
Oooooppppssss ;D

Offline Brianbern

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2014, 12:12:05 PM »
Great way to keep in touch with our daughters as we are here & they are in Scotland & Canada!

I tried unsuccessfully 3 times yesterday to post on CBF a warning about a dangerous kettle we had purchased in Migros as 'a bargain!' - each time I got to the upload image to the post & it did all that & when I clicked post - it didn't! So I gave up & put it on CBF Facebook page & Fethiye Expats Facebook page!

Maria

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2014, 12:15:05 PM »
A warning naming the kettle would have been better than no warning at all? Just because you couldn't upload the photo it could still have helped prevent non-Facebooking CBF members burning their house down. I think we all know what a kettle looks like   ;) Just the name and model number would have sufficed...

And for the record on this - a warning on here will be here next week, next month and next year - on Facebook its gone within hours/days and very difficult to search & find. Hence people ask the same question 5 times a day.

Offline Brianbern

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2014, 12:49:46 PM »
OK Keith I'll do it here now & you can put it in The appropriate place for me! I'd no idea how trying to make people aware of a danger could land me in such hot water! Maria :-)
WARNING - Dangerous kettle!
We bought this kettle at the checkout in Migros a couple of months ago - it was offered when we'd completed our shopping for only 5TL - thinking it might be handy to put in the top floor guest room we took it!
Today however we had a visit from a very trustworthy & reliable electrician who had come to look at one of our sockets as every time we plugged something in there the electricity tripped - this was due to our Russell Hobbs kettle dying on us - so we've been using the Raks one in the meantime.
He told us to throw away the Raks kettle as it was very dangerous - he demonstrated by plugging it in & when he inserted his screwdriver into the water in the kettle it lit up showing it to be live as it was not earthed!
He advised us to buy a new kettle & dispose of the Raks one - just felt it important to alert others who may have purchased one as it works fine but is VERY dangerous!
The kettles were offered in black or white!

Offline Brianbern

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2014, 12:50:46 PM »
I don't know why we got it upside down & twice, but I'll leave it to you! Thank you

Offline Scott and Lisa

• Newly Registered
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2014, 13:27:18 PM »
I think with facebook you can use it how you like, it will still be there.

With a smaller community like CBF I think it's important we all have an input to keep it alive. It's not really fair to just come on here and take all the info you need without contributing. That's why after asking for advise on things to do I wrote a little review, it only took a few minutes.

I have not used the forum for very long but have had sound advise on hotels, restaurants and banking from people with more experience than me and I thank you all

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2014, 13:36:26 PM »
Older members will remember that the previous CBF had a special section "Members Albums" where you could upload photographs as you do in the other place.

If memory serves it was a very popular feature.

I'm sure that the reason for such a facility not being available in this version has been posted before but I cannot remember what it was.

PS I've just had eggy bread and bacon  ;)

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2014, 13:57:12 PM »
well known as Liberal Moderate I submit my feelings about Facebook and most "unsocial media" :-

Zuckerman should be imprisoned in the Tower and then publicly hanged, drawn and quartered! I loathe Facebook and all the handheld media. Recently took my daughter and her two children through nice scenery to spend a day at the beach --the car was silent except for tap, tap bloody tap on keyboards from all 3, heads down --- and on the way back the same until hoo-bloody-ray the batteries were flat and "unfortunately" the cigar lighters in the car were not working. (well, the fuses in my pocket helped!  :) ) People don't even telephone each other let alone write, tap tap bloody tap drives me insane(er)

Thank goodness there was no mobile reception where I took them, (strange that) and we had a good time together, we played cricket on the sand, flew kites, talked -- the kids paddled (its England its Ice water!) and life almost seemed normal pre-Zuckerman! I work in It so I am not an IT Dinosaur -- just "unsocial media" is destroying our ability to communicate properly and actually read about something apart from Wikipedia!

I HATE HATE HATE IT -- somebody beat me to it with registering a Doman name and setting up a website to be totally anti You Tube, Twitter and Facebook --- www.youtwitface.com

Offline Christie

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2014, 16:41:34 PM »
We use it most days, just to keep in touch with friends and family and see photos.  We still pick up the phone and talk to people as well. 

Offline suehugh

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2014, 18:08:59 PM »
Facebook is another great medium for communication and information.
It shouldn't be used exclusively. 
You can still ring, and Em even converse face to face.
Whilst it will harm some of the smaller imternet forums, the strong will survive.
We think CBF is one of the strong ones.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf