Author Topic: Who's rights have been violated ?  (Read 2097 times)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Who's rights have been violated ?
« on: May 19, 2015, 14:03:02 PM »
A Christian-owned family bakery which refused to make a cake bearing a pro-gay marriage slogan has been found guilty of discrimination after a landmark legal action.

Belfast-based Ashers Baking Company refused to make a cake for gay rights activist Gareth Lee, which featured an image of Sesame Street puppets Bert and Ernie below the motto 'Support Gay Marriage'.

The Northern Ireland Equality Commission took the bakery to court on behalf of Mr Lee and the judge today found the company guilty of 'direct discrimination'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3087624/Christian-owned-bakery-refused-make-Bert-Ernie-gay-marriage-cake-GUILTY-discrimination.html

Offline kawasakikid

Re: Who's rights have been violated ?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 14:41:11 PM »
The Northern Ireland Equality Commission (N.I.E.C) took the bakery to court on behalf of Mr. Gareth Lee, who is a volunteer activist for the QueerSpace organisation. The N.I.E.C is part of the Department for Culture, Media and Sport, an arm of the UK government.

This judgment is in effect, saying that the bakers are not allowed to act according to their beliefs. It is saying that there is an official set of government sanctioned beliefs held by some and then there are other, so called "backward" ones held for example, by Ashers Bakery. It is those "backward" beliefs that the state will prosecute you for holding.

There’s a word for that kind of society: Totalitarian.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 15:14:21 PM »
Under the Equality Act 2010, it is unlawful for someone to discriminate against you ... because of your religion or belief.

Offline kawasakikid

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 15:20:26 PM »
Yes, but it is clear from this judgment that a "civil" belief e.g. gay equality, will always trump a religious belief in a legal contest- no matter how sincerely held that religious belief is.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 15:28:50 PM »
It'll be interesting to see how they get on at appeal especially with the moves allegedly being made to revoke the Human Rights Act.

Offline kawasakikid

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 15:49:07 PM »
Quote: "Under the Equality Act 2010, it is unlawful for someone to discriminate against you ... because of your religion or belief."

This Act and other associated Acts have, over the years, extended the states powers to the point were it controls and restricts freedom of speech. You simply cannot say what you feel in public without the fear of being taken to court.  Hurting someones feelings is, I feel, a small price to pay for the liberty people gain in having real free speech.

Even if you talk openly in private be aware: someone may tape record your conversation and start legal action against you!!

Didn't George Orwell write a book on this very subject?

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 16:58:56 PM »
I would have no problem making a cake for a gay couple.  I have had and do have gay friends.  However, if someone with a strong religion and strong beliefs who own their own business does not want to do this. I would defend their right not to. 
I think gay people have rights, but straight people do too.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 17:18:53 PM »
Strangely enough Jacqui, I completely agree with you.

(Now I must go and have a stiff drink and lay down in a darkened room. )  ;)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 17:20:06 PM »
KKOB.  I knew you were an old softie really  :)

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 17:23:55 PM »
I am disgusted that gay activists are allowed to target peoples religious beliefs to further their agenda's.

Anyone remember Peter Tatchell jumping up in the pulpit and disrupting the Archbishop of Canterbury during

his Easter Service at the Cathedral.? He should try that in a Mosque, that would be a result. Was the Bakery set up.?

Jacqui.    I totally agree with your last two post's

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf