Author Topic: Brexit means Brexit?  (Read 38406 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: Brexit means Brexit?
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 13:58:50 PM »
Since we never paid £350m a week to the EU in the first place it is rather pointless arguing about what we are going to do with this imaginary money. Unless we bet it on a unicorn winning the 2017 Grand National.

Offline villain

• The most unpopular poster in the village
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 14:39:54 PM »
So what form of Brexit would the Brexiters like?

Are the Brexiters prepared to pay into the EU coffers almost the same as we have been doing for access to the single market (probably with some minor compromise about freedom of movement attached), or perhaps a more "hard" exit with no trade deals in place? Bearing in mind option 2 would probably see our rather important  car and banking  industries (to name two) scuttle off to the EU in a flash.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 16:12:14 PM »

Osbourne, Cameron, Carney, Le Garde, Obama, et al should be prosecuted for their claims and forecast's.

As of lunchtime today nobody has fallen off the edge of the world. Anyone who thinks the Brussels commissioners

are fit to rule Europe and defend it with their grand vision of an EU dads army should seek treatment.      ;)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 16:29:56 PM »
Personally, I'm very scared.
I don't think it is quite as bad as that, Villain. Certainly the decision will do serious long-term damage to the UK economy and has already trashed the £. However, I would stop short of saying it is a disaster. We maybe able to stage some sort of recovery well into the future (just not in my lifetime). Perhaps I'm just a wide-eyed optimist!

So what long term damage will it do to our economy? OK the pound has taken a battering (which has helped exports just a little  ;)) but once the Euro is allowed to go belly up (which it will) then it will more than likely bounce back.

The only thing the remainers got correct with their scare stories is the pound.

OK inflation may rise short term but that's due to the falling pound and to be honest a little bit of inflation will go down quite well for those with money invested. Negative inflation and negative interest rates were a real risk before Brexit.

I wanted out and am still for out - nothing that has happened so far has changed my opinion and the falling pound, even though it has cost me money on my hols, is one risk I am prepared to take to rid us of the EU.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2016, 16:32:15 PM »
Must say I'm surprised. Just about all the fallout from the referendum has been negative. None of the Leave campaigns promises have come to fruition, the pound has taken a battering, inflation is on its way, the government appear to be in disarray, if we leave the single market there'll be no trade deals in place and even the leavers can't agree what "Brexit" looks like.

Personally, I'm very scared.

The only negative stories are coming from the Remain camp and we will not have any trade deals in place (officially) until we action Article 50 - otherwise we risk being sued by the EU.

Offline villain

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2016, 17:34:36 PM »
OK. Assume we go for a soft brexit.  We will continue as we have been doing,  paying for access to the Single Market,  effectively still bound by EU rules,  but have no say over shaping the EU in the future (e.g. Norway). Alternatively,  a Hard exit scenario would lead the foreign owned car industry relocating to the EU,  as well as the vast majority of Banking jobs. At the point of exit from the EU,   we would not have any trade deals in place. How anyone thinks that'll do UK PLC any good is simply beyond me.

The referendum was a simple lie vs a complicated truth.

Hands up anyone who thinks the government has a clue what to do with this mess? They are constantly backtracking and contradicting themselves.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2016, 17:43:14 PM »
Hands up anyone who thinks the government has a clue what to do with this mess? They are constantly backtracking and contradicting themselves.
But the government has put the Three Wise Men in charge - Boris Johnson, David Davis and Liam Fox. Surely you have faith in them? [If you reply, please remember this is a family forum!]

Offline villain

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2016, 18:17:59 PM »
I'll try again. Exactly what sort of brexit were the brexiters wanting? Hard, Soft, Squidgy?

As for "well apart from the £ tanking, I haven't noticed anything" - we're still in the EU for the time being! The effects of inflation will follow shortly,  the effects of falling foreign investment (and indeed disinvestment) a bit later, and later still, if you give up access to what is the world's most lucrative and most free of free trade zones with no immediate alternative you'll get a return to the RED TAPE of customs checks and tariffs (I thought you were ditching the red tape - this Brave New World looks to be, well, a bit more red-tape-ish to me)

As for the EU's perceived lack of democracy. How about ushering in an un-elected leader whose party only gained a small proportion of the electorate's vote to  conduct our county's future policy in secret and not allowing parliament a say in it? That'll show those pesky Europeans how to run an undemocratic show.

Finally, for the European Army issue, doesn't the UK have a veto on this?

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2016, 19:25:24 PM »

Cameron promised us before the referendum that there were NO PLANS for an EU Army.

villain, can you name any country or government that has experience in exercising brexit negotiations.?

France has upcoming elections, where the far right could make many gains due the mass immigration problems.

Germany has upcoming elections and Merkel could well be booted out. Italy, Portugal and Greece have dire money

problems, and several other EU countries are refusing to accept the immigration quota's being imposed on them.

When the UK funding finishes I think the EU project will collapse soon after. The UK joined The Common Market,

but Brussels have morphed it into something far more sinister.

Offline villain

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2016, 19:58:01 PM »
Cameron may not like an EU army,  but BoJo the clownis all for it I see.  Interesting that the way to stop this Army would simply to stay in the EU and veto it.  Now we're leaving,  it looks like there will be one anyway.

Last country to leave the EU was Greenland. The discussions were largely about fish. 48000 population and the exit process still took 3 years

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-05-10/what-lessons-can-the-uk-learn-from-greenland-leaving-the-eu/

...and now many there would like to be back in again.

So. I still haven't heard from a brexiter: hard or soft exit?

P. S.  Can you tell me more about these EU immigration quotas?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf