Author Topic: Ölüdeniz Craft Market to be Closed  (Read 4914 times)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Ölüdeniz Craft Market to be Closed
« on: May 06, 2014, 16:06:34 PM »
I am extremely disappointed to have it confirmed today that Ölüdeniz Craft market which has been there for about 10 years now and is VERY popular with tourists is to be closed when the contracts run out in June.

Not only is it a popular alternative for people sick of the hassle from shop keepers who were behind the last (failed) attempt to close it; it offers something a little different in the way of hand made items, although these days mostly jewelry and some other hand crafts.

Additionally it offers seasonal employment to those that cannot afford premises and supports a significant number of local families including children. It wouldn't be the end of the world if the stall holders were at least able to finish the season as they have already opened and will have invested large sums of money and time in new stock for the season.

What further gets my goat is the fact that the only real option for that space is to turn it back into another area for people to park their bloody cars!

Offline Menthol

Re: Ölüdeniz Craft Market to be Closed
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 16:25:41 PM »
I dont even know where this is, Nichola. I'd love to pop down and see what they have.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 16:37:09 PM »
Yes I have read a lot of complaints about this from tourists on the Oludeniz Facebook Page.  Everyone is very sad about it.  I remember the powers that be taking away the little craft stalls at back of Migros by the harbour which I thought was a shame.   Why take away things that tourists seem to like??

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 16:46:05 PM »
While you still can   :(

It's about half way up the main shopping street if you are coming up from the beach. The "Hangout" is on the corner on your right hand side.

Anyway about half way up the street on your left there is a Finansbank ATM. There used to be Josephs restaurant on the corner but that's gone now.

Turn left there, the street opening is a little hidden. If you pass njoy bar restaurant which is on the same side of the street you have gone too far. I think there is also a phone box on that corner too.

Or if you know Blue Star hotel restaurant as you head down to Help Bar lounge, that is the other end of the craft market.

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 16:50:50 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear that. I've really enjoyed tootling round and finding some lovely things on the stalls. As you say, Nichola, it offered an alternative to the things on offer everywhere else.

Will have to pay a final visit in May.  :(

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 17:00:41 PM »
Here is the link to the topic on TA and just as an aside its nothing to do with the price of the pitches because the stall holders have to bid in an open auction by law for them.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g312737-i9292-k7422438-Craft_Market-Oludeniz_Fethiye_Mugla_Province_Turkish_Aegean_Coast.html

Jacqui can you share the link to the FB page as I have had a look and I can't see anything on the page I found. Cheers

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 17:16:05 PM »
Ñnnoo, slik is waiting for his belated birthday present from there. At the opposite end to Blue star, a stall made leather plaques of football emblems,and family crests. I do hope I can find it again. He has had his heart set on a Stoke City one for a while. We have bought so many bits n pieces from there. What a shame it wont be there. :-\

Offline Menthol

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 17:37:02 PM »
Going to have a look tomorrow morning. I think I will find it after your excellent directions Nichola,   ;)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 20:16:48 PM »
Hi NIcola,  I think this is the link but I am sure I read more somewhere else.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/602409833170786/search/?query=Craft%20Market

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 20:33:42 PM »
I've really enjoyed tootling round and finding some lovely things

So did I until Mrs KKOB caught me and threatened to snap my tootle.  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf