Author Topic: Fake carpets in Fethiye  (Read 10335 times)

Offline chris abram

Fake carpets in Fethiye
« on: June 30, 2010, 17:50:31 PM »
On 22nd July 2003 I purchased a "Hereke" carpet made by the Ginar family at Saklikent Yolu Kadikoy, near Fethiye, which cost me £10,000. I still have the receipts and sales invoice.
I then had to wait some time for it to arrive and, when it did, it did not have a Certificate of Authenticity with it. I then spent some time contacting the sales office trying to get this certificate.

This made me rather suspicious and I asked London Auctioneers Bonhams and several other carpet experts to have a look at this "Hereke" carpet and they all said that it was not from Hereke. However at that time, one said they thought it was from Tabriz and the others said that this was a Chinese copy.It is now begining to look as though it IS a Chinese copy, although the experts say that it is an excellent one.

When I did eventually receive the Certificate of Authenticity on the 19th September 2003 I sent an email doubting the authenticity of this carpet to Mr Ali Ding, Production Manager. I received no satisfaction.
Since then I have been try to get my money back.

I even filmed the factory whilst I was there but I have just had an email from the official Ginar company that there has never been a governmnt factory near Fethiye.
Does this "government" carpet factory still exist?
How can I contact the British Consulate in Fethiye?
Does anyone know of any additional action that I can take?

I came to Kaya Koy, Fethiye and Olu Denis for several years and if I can obtain enough information I will come back again shortly, but this time with my friendly Turkish solicitor friend. (And possibly a shotgun!!!!!)

Offline Lindar

Fake carpets in Fethiye
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 19:57:22 PM »
A grievance since 2003! Wow I am glad I am not you. Best of luck getting your money back.

Offline Eric

Fake carpets in Fethiye
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 20:11:40 PM »
Why have you waited 7 years?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Fake carpets in Fethiye
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 20:28:05 PM »
If you are coming back with your Turkish solicitor friend, he is just the person to answer the questions - not sure why you are asking here? Not many people are lucky enough to have a Turkish solicitor friend.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Fake carpets in Fethiye
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 20:33:09 PM »
Seven years is a very long time.  I wish you luck in trying to get your money back.  As an Antique dealer in the U.K. I know you would get a refund here but I think you are on shakey ground in Turkey.  Incidentally, its very common knowledge in my business that you will always buy a Turkish carpet cheaper in the U.K. than in Turkey.  Things are always more expensive to buy at the source of where they are made.

Offline BM06

Fake carpets in Fethiye
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 20:44:56 PM »
Yes, i found that at ikea ;)....Flog it:D
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 20:49:24 PM by BM06 »

Offline mrkeith

Fake carpets in Fethiye
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 06:20:10 AM »
I can't believe you parted with 10k for a rug that you couldn't authenticate, well actualy I can't believe you paid 10k for a rug full stop!!
However if you did want a "hereke" carpet and were prepared to pay as much why not go to the town where they are fomous for and buy one there after all for the vast majority of us £10k is a lot of £££££'s
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 08:05:57 AM by mrkeith »

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Fake carpets in Fethiye
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 08:22:07 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by chris abram

I purchased a "Hereke" carpet made by the Ginar family at Saklikent Yolu Kadikoy, near Fethiye, which cost me £10,000..............

Shouldn't this have been posted in the Jokes Section ? :D

Offline simpsons

Fake carpets in Fethiye
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 08:59:31 AM »
He can buy my rug for a fiver!

Offline steveb1

Fake carpets in Fethiye
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 13:13:41 PM »
i purchased a rolex for £6.50 and that was fake to

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf