Author Topic: Fethiye Market  (Read 3229 times)

Offline Daisychain

Fethiye Market
« on: August 23, 2010, 07:50:56 AM »
Hi everyone

Just wondering if people can give me some info on Fethiye Market. Firstly, is it only held on Tuesdays? Secondly, are there stalls that sell kids toys (specifically things like frisbees, balls, hula hoops and other kinds of outdoor activities)

Also, does anyone know if there is a stall that sells glass vases and candle holders? I'm trying to source these things for my wedding reception, and I would ideally like short, cube vases, and similar candle holders but obviously would like to get them as cheap as possible as I will be buying quite a lot of them.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
Fethiye Market
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 08:13:07 AM »
Yes yes and yes:D
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 08:13:41 AM by tinkerman »

Offline mrkeith

Fethiye Market
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 08:24:52 AM »
ou may well get a better price from some of the shops in Fethiye, "Citlembek" springs to mind.
The veggie bit of the market is open on Fridays too.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Fethiye Market
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 08:27:59 AM »
Fethiye Market is open on Tuesdays.  It does open on Friday, but is just a Farmer's Market.  Calis Market on Sunday's is a smaller version of Fethiye Tuesday Market.   There are always lots of toys at both Markets.

There are a few stalls with vases and candle holders, but not a great selection.   Nichola at the Mozaic Bahce Restaurant has some really nice Candle Holders.    I think the local shops in Fethiye would probably be a better bet to source glass items. I have bought a couple of nice vases in the Fethiye Shops, vases which I have not seen in the markets.   Also the Markets are not as cheap as they used to be.

Offline Daisychain

Fethiye Market
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 08:59:30 AM »
ah ok, great tips on the vases, thank you. I will definitely have a look at the shops too. What time do shops stay open until during the week?

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Fethiye Market
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 09:25:16 AM »
As Jacqui said - Markets are not cheap and you can often find the same product in the shops for cheaper !  bizarre but true !  Good luck.

Offline lmaddy

Fethiye Market
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 10:06:56 AM »
I have to agree, having visited the Grand Bazaar in Instanbul, things like the glass lanterns were half the price before haggling.
A large glass ceiling lantern in Fethiye market ws 220 lira the same thing started at 120 lira in the bazzar.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Fethiye Market
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 10:18:42 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Daisychain

ah ok, great tips on the vases, thank you. I will definitely have a look at the shops too. What time do shops stay open until during the week?

Shops are open till late at night every day of the week in the Tourist months.  Some are open until 12.00 midnight.  If you want really cheap there are two 1 Lira (99p shops) in Fethiye. If you come out of the market turn right there is a shop on the opposite side of the road at the lights, however, my favourite 1 lira shop is, coming out from the market turn right and walk along the road, there is a shop just near the pet shop that has lots of bargains which would be useful for wedding table settings, plus lots of other cheap stuff you will wonder how you ever did without!! :D ;)

Offline Julesp

Fethiye Market
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 16:03:48 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Jacqui Harvey

quote:
Originally posted by Daisychain

Shops are open till late at night every day of the week in the Tourist months.  Some are open until 12.00 midnight.  If you want really cheap there are two 1 Lira (99p shops) in Fethiye. If you come out of the market turn right there is a shop on the opposite side of the road at the lights, however, my favourite 1 lira shop is, coming out from the market turn right and walk along the road, there is a shop just near the pet shop that has lots of bargains which would be useful for wedding table settings, plus lots of other cheap stuff you will wonder how you ever did without!! :D ;)

A few yards further down on same side of road there is another cheap 1tl shop too

Offline Daisychain

Fethiye Market
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 17:55:44 PM »
1 Lira shops! That's amazing! Thank you for all the directions. I will certainly be hitting the shops the same day we arrive so that I can get what I need on time. You have all been brilliant with my millions questions. Mwaaa! #9829;

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf