Author Topic: screening  (Read 2110 times)

Offline tillyfloss

screening
« on: January 07, 2010, 16:12:40 PM »
Need advice on what plants that I could grow in my garden up th'hill in Uzumlu.  Have tried planting grape vines but two years on they are rubbish, hardly grown at all.  Oleander on my last visit hadn't really taken off on one side [plus I don't really like them], favourite olive tree had to be cut down [very sad about that] because there's a disease about BUT I do have a good lawn.  I would like some kind of screen [it has to be plants] to provide privacy but have noooo idea what to put.  Bamboo would be great but maybe not so good because of the heat in the summer, amount of water etc and it's really cold in the winter though it hasn't affected the ones I have here and it is freezing!  I would like something fast growing/ tall/low maintenance because we can't be there all year. The plants would be mainly west facing.  Even though we have a good lawn I think the soil is not so good because it's full of rocks. Can anyone help or recommend a good garden centre?

Offline LoubyLou

screening
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 10:58:14 AM »
I was told that any plants that you can grow in the uk, grow in Uzumlu. We have oleander, lavender, willow, various fruit trees, bamboo, olive, white jasmine.......and other stuff all have grown well over the last couple years. They do get plenty of water, but our water bills have been OK (although we dont have a pool so cheaper water rates). The only thing we have a problem with is our lawn, but thats only because it isn't mown very often. The bamboos I find are particularly good for screening, as are the oleander. Bamboos is also quick growing. Our soil was full of rocks, although when we forst planted it we did take quite a lot out and put in a couple of cartloads of manure
Garden faces the sun int he morning, and is in full sun most of day.
We initially used a gardener just down from Migros to do the initial planting as we had other stuff to do - seemed knowledgable on what would grow, and most have survived. Cant remmebr his name, but he was young chap and had lovely white teeth and a red truck!!!

Offline Firo

screening
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 12:09:36 PM »
The plants you have mentioned grow very well in Uzumlu so don't know why yours have not thrived.There are hundreds of vines in Uzumlu it is the village of grapes after all. Oleanders need no maintance and grow tall.
We have fir trees for screening purposes but you need to plant them  quite soon so they get lots of water till established. There is a lovely bright green one that when touched smells of lemons.
Honeysuckle, Passion flower and virginia creeper are excellant here and can grow tall.Roses and Cannas also seem to love it.
Anything that grows in UK does fine so use that as a guide.
Good luck
Fi

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
screening
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 18:36:46 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by LoubyLou

I was told that any plants that you can grow in the uk, grow in Uzumlu. We have oleander, lavender, willow, various fruit trees, bamboo, olive, white jasmine.......and other stuff all have grown well over the last couple years. They do get plenty of water, but our water bills have been OK (although we dont have a pool so cheaper water rates). The only thing we have a problem with is our lawn, but thats only because it isn't mown very often. The bamboos I find are particularly good for screening, as are the oleander. Bamboos is also quick growing. Our soil was full of rocks, although when we forst planted it we did take quite a lot out and put in a couple of cartloads of manure
Garden faces the sun int he morning, and is in full sun most of day.
We initially used a gardener just down from Migros to do the initial planting as we had other stuff to do - seemed knowledgable on what would grow, and most have survived. Cant remmebr his name, but he was young chap and had lovely white teeth and a red truck!!!

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
screening
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 18:38:47 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by LoubyLou

had lovely white teeth and a red truck!!!

lol Loubs - you been growing wacky bachi again ?!

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
screening
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 07:38:21 AM »
Heard it called many things but never a red truck before!!!

Offline LoubyLou

screening
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 05:19:03 AM »
Oh - yeah I didn't word that very well - he drove a red truck.......

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf