Author Topic: The new After 8 years permit  (Read 3401 times)

Offline snowtop

The new After 8 years permit
« on: August 02, 2014, 07:21:36 AM »
Has anyone tried it yet? and have any costs been mentioned yet?
We are eligible in October when we will have new passports

Offline savoyboy

• Chiswick, London, UK
Re: The new After 8 years permit
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 10:05:32 AM »
Please explain what you mean Snowtop.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 10:07:59 AM »
Apparently at the moment, until the regional offices are set up if you want to apply for the indefinite permit you will need to go to and apply in Ankara.

I recently read elsewhere by a poster (not on an official web site) that you would need to own your own property and work! That latter does not make sense to me.

I suspect that this is speculation as it was originally expressed that people that had the indefinite permit would have the same rights as citizens with the following exceptions:

1. stand for election
2. vote
3. do military service

However, things change and what will happen and when is any ones guess! One of the advantages I hoped for was that people with this permit would be able to work legally if they wanted too so they can give something back to the country they have chosen to live in.

Offline lissa

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 20:03:03 PM »
I work for a tour operator, have Turkish ID so this does not affect me personally. However, some of our reps have been here a number of years and one went to the passport police earlier this year to ask about this 8 year permit. The police were very pleasant, they do know her as she has had a work permit for the same number of years, but told her to forget it, this is not being done.So she works, has a residency permit for the required number of years and still told no! I really cannot see they would grant these as they have put in place so many laws to actually deter foreigners from either coming or staying in Turkey. Tour Operators used to have relatively no problems obtaining work visas for just 6 months, even though they certainly were not cheap, but this has not been so this year. I can only speak for British Tour operators, though I believe other nationalities have also encountered problems. Does Erdogan want tourism? I would say no.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 22:15:47 PM »
At the moment you can not apply here in Fethiye for the long term permit for those with an uninterrupted 8 years.

The Passport Police don't know anything about it because when the regional offices are set up and open and the full law is eventually rolled out and and implemented they won't have anything to do with it or the normal resident permits which I am sure they will be very pleased about.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 07:23:04 AM »
does Erdogan want tourism? I would say no.
Yes he does but on his terms.  No alcohol, segregated pools and beaches, ladies discouraged from swimming but when they do it will be in the swimming baby grows, all historical site guides to explain through the prism of rigid Islamic interpretation of history, no tourists during Ramadan..... I am sure there are many more

Offline lissa

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 19:10:51 PM »
When is it planned for the regional offices to be set up and opened? And where would it be in Fethiye? No, the passport police do not know anything about long term permit, but not sure anyone does! But you can apply for this in Ankara at the moment, Nicola? Does anybody know anyone who has applied to Ankara?

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 22:44:45 PM »
Q1 No idea, it was meant to be within a year

Q2 No idea

Q3 According to someone that posts on the expat forum it was reported on Doc Martin's page that someone did but they are not from this area.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 22:05:44 PM »
Here's an update from Doc Martin Redman who seems to know what he's talking about. I have just copied and pasted as it's written.

"Lifetime R.P. applications have been suspended until the government finally take over the job & open their offices for RP applications & the TNP relinquish the job. NO date has officially been given when this will happen, but it is thought it will be January 2015".

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf