Author Topic: Visa  (Read 3477 times)

Offline daveG

Visa
« on: October 28, 2017, 17:38:50 PM »
Well managed to eventually get home to U.K but not without further cost.
So here goes, having completed a five year residency in Jan We decided that as the law on our residency was changed half way through to having to stay no less than 8 mths in turkey per year, we would not re-new and take  easier option of a visa. So first visa commenced in the Jan and went through until July.which suited us and we were under the 90 day stay.
A new visa was issued on Sept to run through until March 18. So we thought o.k no problem we have now 90days until March. WRONG we were stopped at passport control  in  inIstanbul,not very politely I might add and told we have to pay fine for staying over 4days! After customs again passport control and then at Police dept then at G where they charged 136tl but took 140tl  each and then referred back to police to get back passport,then back to original passport control then sent to the crew/diplomatic gate where we finally escaped.
No explanation from anyone just pay .
When we returned  and over a decent glass or shiraz I worked out that 45days originated from 1st visa and 49 from current one as they were in a six month period and that is why they were not interested in my visa.
Thank god for CBF Got it sorted no need to bang head on wall.I.e until next time!!!

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
Re: Visa
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 18:45:29 PM »
I believe that the 8 month rule has been changed; I know at least 2 families that have residency & spend IRO 6 months in Turkey & the remainder of the year in the UK. They've done this for 2 - 3 years without any issues at immigration

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 19:26:49 PM »
It's 90 days within a 180 day period, and without knowing the exact dates it's difficult to comment on your specific case.

You're right Liz, I've got several friends who work throughout the middle east but live in Istanbul and everyone was worried that they'd have issues with the newish regulations. So far, nobody's been stopped or hassled over their lack of days within Turkey.

JF

Offline daveG

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 21:35:00 PM »
Yes John the 45 consecutive days covered Late April to mid June and then early Sept to End Oct total 49 consecutive days.
Regarding the rule of allowing only four months out of the country although unaware of any fines been made ,the rule to my personal knowledge resulted in 5 couples leaving Turkey. All had been in Turkey for over 10yrs and this was primarily the final "straw that broke the camel's back"

Offline Pi55y

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 21:41:29 PM »
The 120 day rule  for maximum number of days out of Turkey in one year  no longer applies for anyone with residency. You can be out as long as you like.

This is not to be confused with the 90/180 day rule for visas. This means that you can spend a maximum of 90 days out of 180 day period in Turkey if you are here on a visa.  The 180 days is counted back from the day that you leave Turkey. If you find that you have been in Turkey for more than 90 days in that count back period (even if it covers 2  different stays) then you are likely to be fined for an overstay when you get to passport control.

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 02:15:48 AM »
A similar thing happened to me. I went over for two weeks from 11th February. This visa expired on 5th August so it covered my 14 day stay in February, 40 days in May/June and 16 days in July. I got a new visa for my 41 days stay from 5th September to 12th October. When leaving I was pulled for staying 93 days in a six month period and I got fined 135tl. I was convinced they were out of order and said I was going to send everything to the Turkish embassy in London. With careful thought I realized that I had stayed 93 days in a six month period. The fact that I had renewed my visa midway meant nothing. I finally concluded that I was out of order and learned a valuable lesson.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 07:08:22 AM »
I have been counting up husband's days ready to book a flight back to uk ( sob sob) cant believe I will have been here for five months by then...its whizzed by and apart from a few homesick days mainly missing my elder son and some days in August where it was literally to hot to move it has been amazing and I know which country I now think of as home...Anyway I had a rough idea of when he would need to leave re the 90 day rule, HOWEVER ( drumroll!) I have been online today and using the Gibba calculator and for some reason each trip he has done it makes the days he has been here x1 day less each trip, can anyone shed any light on this for me please before I book flights, does the computer system here when you depart at passport use the same method of counting probably Not!

Offline daveG

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 08:59:15 AM »
Kenkay that was the exact scenario that happened to us.
Whether we go down once again the recidency route after our visa expires well ? Still under debate.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 09:16:01 AM »
Kenkay that was the exact scenario that happened to us.
Whether we go down once again the recidency route after our visa expires well ? Still under debate.

Be careful, as far as I'm aware immigration count your entry day and exit day as full days in respect of the countback.  Some online calculators don't take this into account.

Simplest method is to physically print out a calendar and mark in the days, then using fingers and toes count them up in relation to the date you wish to leave.

JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf