Author Topic: Fish Market  (Read 13234 times)

Offline lance

• Prolific Member
Fish Market
« on: August 10, 2006, 14:43:03 PM »
Hi can anyone tell how things work in the fish /meat  market in fethiye, i have been told you just buy what you want from the stall or shop and they cook it ,what do they charge and how come I've not seen on here about it ,is there a best cafe to go to or are they all much the same .

Lance :)

Offline Fran

Fish Market
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 14:51:22 PM »
Hi Lance.
The fish Market is great. You buy your fish from the fish counter and then take it to the restaurant of your choice and they will cook it for you. Most places charge 5ytl per person, for this you get bread and salad. We usually eat in the Can Cigar, ask them for prawns, cooked in spicy sauce. yummy..
Fran

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Fish Market
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 15:23:36 PM »
Ask the restaurants first how much they will charge you for the cooking and salad etc. You will be surprised how they will barter with you for your custom. Some will also barter for you for the fish. I would also ask to check the toilets first. The one we ate at had awful ones - up some rickety stairs, past the kitchen and then it was bend over double at the loo (no standing room -lol).

Fish was great though.

Stoop

Offline glennat

Fish Market
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 15:35:18 PM »
Hi Lance,

Just wander toward the fish counters looking lost.  You will be quickly greated by a waiter/fishmonger/small boy with a dog on a piece of string who will sell you your fish and guide you to a table of their choice!

So, just relax and let them take the lead (on your first visit).  When you next visit you can be a bit more fussy - that's what I did. You're on holiday after all.

Glen

Offline maybe

Fish Market
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 16:01:11 PM »
I've never tried buying the fish and getting it cooked next door but I hear it's easy and worth doing.  I loved the market itself - fantastic fish.  But we used to take it back and cook it at the villa.   The prawns are so good.  Cook in seconds - same for the squid.  And they'll prep it for you.  Very helpful and friendly.  

B

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Fish Market
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 18:06:09 PM »
If you go from the fishmarket into the fruit and veg market there is a little restaurant on the left called the Oztoklu.

Rukiye ( pronounced Roo-Kee-ya ) will go with you into the fishmarket, help you buy your fish, prawns, seafood etc. You can then have it cooked at her restaurant for quite a bit less than in the fishmarket restaurants.

You'll also find that beer, spirits and wine cost a lot less than in the fishmarket. For instance, she'll charge about 10 - 12 YTL for a bottle of wine that will cost you upwards of 35 YTL in the fishmarket restaurants.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 18:10:33 PM by KKOB »

Offline wickwilly

Fish Market
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 19:08:22 PM »
To add to KKOB's info she also seems to be able to get the fish from the market cheaper than the other restaurants do!!!. A great little restaurant.

WW

Offline katespot

Fish Market
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 21:03:51 PM »
I agree KKOB & Wickwilly, Rukiye and her family are so nice, the food is great- definately my favourite place to eat!

Kate

x

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
Fish Market
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 22:04:34 PM »
"Ask First" Good advice Stoop, Ashamed to say we got ripped off wicked last year, a guy picked us up as soon as we went in, we accepted his offer of "apertisers" which was probably a big mistake. Will give Oztoklu a try this year.

Offline philrose

Fish Market
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 06:03:19 AM »
It's a great fun night out but as a number of others have said, do check the restaurant prices first. A modest charge to cook your selection of fish can become quite expensive when the cost of drinks, starters and various extras are added. ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf