Author Topic: Fish Market  (Read 13231 times)

Offline davewalsh

Fish Market
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2006, 17:00:19 PM »
I haggled for prawns im May, started at 50 per kilo, finished at 30. Not sure whether it was a Turkish bargain but it certainly was an English one. Also haggled for Sea Bass /bream ( can't remember which). It had a sticker price of 15 YTL per kilo, got it for 10.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Fish Market
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2006, 18:56:26 PM »
The "local" price for prawns at the moment is 20 YTL per kilo. However, May is early season so I think 30 YTL was reasonable.

Sea Bass is currently selling at around 20 YTL per kilo.

Offline june

Fish Market
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2006, 07:25:24 AM »
Thanks for that Alan I appreciate it, will bear it in mind for September, see you then.

June

Offline rowanis

Fish Market
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2006, 11:18:34 AM »
Recep is a great person - I'm biased because I've known him for years.  His father was a butcher and the tables and stools beside the fish market stalls where you often see locals gutting and dealing with their fish or having a glass of cay whilst waiting are made out of a tree his father planted that grew too big for the market.  Recep was also a butcher and is well placed to help those who do not like fish enjoy the experience.  Also, if you are into it, having excellent knife skills he will happily do sashimi for those that like it, we spend a lot of time there in the winter when the Bonito tuna is in season, you have to bring your own wasabi, ginger and soy though!

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Fish Market
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2006, 09:26:35 AM »
Tried the Oztoklu last night thanks to your recomendation KKOB......Rukiye says you are sometimes her Boyfriend and sometimes her Father.[?][?]:D.  Seriously a brilliant place which we have passed by so many times and barely noticed usually when shopping for veg. The sauces prepared by her father Rahim are just mouthwatering. sadly it was so quiet we were the only customers last night and a mere dozen or so people passed by while we were eating.  Rukiye was saying that already a couple of places in the market had closed down due to poor trade. So get down there and make sure we don't lose this one! Although our first visit we were made to feel like old friends and after the meal were joined  by Rukiye and her father and chatted for ages. :)

Offline katespot

Fish Market
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2006, 15:10:26 PM »
4 weeks 4 days and i'll be there!!! my fav place to eat!  :) :) :)

Offline n/a

• deleted
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2006, 15:16:37 PM »
Great place to eat,fish is fantastic and the prawns can be so fresh they are still alive.!!!

Offline noebar

Fish Market
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2006, 16:32:30 PM »
Oztoklu we allways call in for coffee when we are in town allways go and have fish dinners would'
nt go anywhere else they sit and talk everytime we go there treat you like friend's of the family

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Fish Market
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2006, 18:48:36 PM »
"Rukiye says you are sometimes her Boyfriend and sometimes her Father.."

Lucky for me I've got a very understanding wife!  :)

Offline Moon

Fish Market
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2007, 14:22:36 PM »
I went there with my family and it was so bad it was funny.

My dad asked fora sea bass and they said the would pick it out for him, my partner order chupra (dont know how to spell or pronounce it) and as me and my mam dont dont like fish we ordered a plain cheese and tomato pizza each.

First comes the fish 2 chupra not sea bass in sight, we giggled a bit didnt complain just got on with it, then  the pizzas arrived, imagine a pizza divided into 6 then take 3 pieces and put them on a separate place and put half a tomato in each of the gaps! and they/it was a meat pizza not a plain one like we ordered. The reason we found it so funny as because we had already discussed the fact the the guy was running around and clearly wasnt listening to use when we asked him anything. By this time luckily we all found it really amusing my partner (turkish) then ordered a diet coke for my mam stating clearly DIET coke, the guy reached into the fridge beside our table and plonked a normal coke on our table. I found I hilarious!! we reached in the the fridge ourselves and replaced for a diet coke.
There seemed to be flies every where and it was over run with street cats and dogs it also smelt really bad.
It was a bit disappointing as my parents where only hear for a week and I didnt want to take them anywhere like that. Maybe it was just a really bad one off day. hopefully!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 14:24:53 PM by Moon »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf