Author Topic: The Nargile Skene Street Aberdeen,Scotland  (Read 4382 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
The Nargile Skene Street Aberdeen,Scotland
« on: June 21, 2007, 18:35:24 PM »
Our favourite restaurant in Aberdeen "The Nargile Turkish Restaurant" in Skene Street. Owned and run by Turks, the food is fabulous.  If you go, order the Meze to start with you will receive about 10 different dishes and hot pitta bread, halfway through you will then receive hot sliced sausage, hot chicken and other hot items.  The Meze is a meal in itself.  I always wonder why I cannot get this sort of starter in Calis/Fethiye.   Main courses are delicious and they have a good selection of Turkish wine.   Nargile is also very handy for His Majesty's Theatre which is about 3 minutes walk away.
Don't miss it.
Jacqui.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: The Nargile Skene Street Aberdeen,Scotland
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 18:16:16 PM »
Just down to luck, as our restaurants were all booked for us during the Offshore Europe exhibition in Aberdeen - and first up, the Nargile in Aberdeen. Just round from the hotel we were staying in. This was my first ever visit.

First impressions not hugely encouraging - the sign outside is a bit confusing and a bit had actually fallen off!

Inside, nothing confusing and nothing fallen off - a warm welcome, a few merhaba abis to impress my colleagues who asked me for recommendations. We went for the selection of Mezes for starters and I can honestly say I have never had better in or out of Turkey - it was a huge selection and so pretty and tasty - and absolutely authentic. None of my colleagues had any idea about Turkish food - my colleagues being a Norwegian, a Frenchman, a Scot and a Latvian (must be a joke in there somewhere) and they were absolutely blown away by the whole meze offering.

Main course I went for my usual favourite in Turkey - Iskender Kebap - and all but one of my colleagues went for it on my recommendation. It was quite different to those I have had in Turkey but very tasty and again fully appreciated by all.

Plenty of Efes to wash it all down of course.

Fabulous evening. They also booked Jamie's Italian for us for one of the other nights - I know which one I'd choose from the two. Well recommended.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 18:45:32 PM »
None of my colleagues had any idea about Turkish food - my colleagues being a Norwegian, a Frenchman, a Scot and a Latvian (must be a joke in there somewhere)

How about.....I'm sorry you can't come in without a Thai ?  ;)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 18:50:11 PM »
That's the one!

Offline neesie1171

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 05:47:33 AM »
This is also our favourite restauarant in Aberdeen and have been going to it for about 15 years and we have never been disappointed. So much so, it is always our first port of call for a meal when we go back to visit family and always at least 2 or 3 times whilst we're there. Tayfun & Rosie the owners are lovely and Tayfun can take credit for most of the cooking. Tayfun comes from Bursa, so the dishes all have a slant to there.

We always have the Ziyafet Sofrasi, which at about £25 per head (can't remember off hand, we haven't been since August 2014) is excellent value. You get 5 cold meze starters, 3 hot meze starters with hot pitta bread and then main course consists of karniyarik, a kofte, a piece of lamb & chicken shish and chicken pilic served with pilav rice and roasted vegetables. Dinner is finished off with a couple of pieces of baklava and then you can have Turkish Coffee or Cay. I can almost taste it, writing this just now!

We visited in 2012 after having living in Turkey for 5 years and not ventured back to the UK and I think it is testament to the restaurant that the food was just exactly as we remembered it. It was like we had tasted it just yesterday!

So definitely another recommendation from me! x

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 08:30:21 AM »
Been our favourite for years too and we always use it for a pre-theatre dinner.  It never used to be open at lunchtime but now does lunches so when I am in town with my daughter and granddaughter we pop in. The staff are always so welcoming, especially to my granddaughter, who loves Turkish food. 
Groupon sometimes have offers for lunch there   ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf