Author Topic: Sky Channels You Can Receive With A 1.5m Dish  (Read 8159 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Sky Channels You Can Receive With A 1.5m Dish
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2008, 12:54:49 PM »
Have a word with Gary (CBF member ECHOSTAR - search in members) - he can give you a price for the dish and installation, and comes highly recommended - by me and many others.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2008, 12:56:39 PM »
Oh I should mention - for Sky Sports (and Sky Movies) the box and card must be the box and card paired with each other by Sky - you can watch most channels with a sky card on any box, but not these.

Offline tracy and kevan

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2008, 13:04:25 PM »
thanks scunner for the extra info and whom to get hold of cheers

Offline karaokemark

• Chesterfield, UK
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2008, 15:16:51 PM »
We are coming out to Turkey to live for a few months / years in August.Last week I had a 2 metre dish fitted on the roof, of our apartment, Keith mentioned the sky has to be connected to a phone line, my plan is for my son to have sky installed at home in the UK, with sky plus and pay an extra £10 per month for a standard box in another room, I will bring this box to Turkey, we will pay the subscription between us and I assume the the box at my sons will be connected to his phone line.We are going to have a full package so am I right in thinking I will be able to get BBC and ITV as well as all the Sky channels. Is there a better way of doing it. Any sensible suggestions will qualify for a free Efes on our new roof terrace when it is done.
Thanks
Mark

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2008, 20:07:51 PM »
Two points here Mark:

1. The multiroom box also needs to be connected to a phone line.

2. Yes you can get BBC1 and ITV, but you'll need a bigger dish than 2m for BBC1.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2008, 20:10:58 PM »
Mark, I'm no expert but I thought that the 2nd box also had to be connected to a phoneline for 12 months as well! Hopefully not because you have a good scheme go otherwise.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2008, 20:16:06 PM »
A better plan is to find a good friend who is a longer term Sky subscriber (1 year+), offer to pay for them to upgrade to Multiroom, then take their original box. They get a nice new box that will be connected to a UK phone line, you get a perfectly good box that doesn't need to be connected to a phone line at all. Sky T&C's only need the box to be connected for the first 12 months.

Offline karaokemark

• Chesterfield, UK
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2008, 22:38:28 PM »
Keith my brother has been a sky subsciber for years he had a new sky plus box 6 months ago he is willing to let me have that box if i pay for multi room, does the actual box have to be coneected to a phone line for a year?

Thanks for your help

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2008, 09:04:20 AM »
Hi Mark,

Without exception as far as I know, all new boxes from Sky themselves need to be connected to the phone line for the first 12 months. After that, they don't. If you mean taking your brother's 6 month old box, it will be better than taking the new multiroom one because it gives Sky less time to catch you out. Sky+ is a good idea here anyway, as you won't be getting all channels so you can record quite a few for the "library" - i.e. record some programmes that are on when you are out or asleep for when there is nothing on worth watching.

I had a multiroom box as my first one out here - the new one delivered, not the original one. It took Sky around 5 months to realise it wasn't connected to a phone line. At this time, they contacted the friend who gave the multiroom box saying they should connect it to the phone line, or it would be billed from that point forward at normal monthly subscription rates for a single box, not just £10 a month as a multiroom 2nd box. So I ended up paying £10 to my friend for the first 5 months, and £41 per month from then on.

That all sounded a bit complicated, let me know if it wasn't totally clear!

Offline karaokemark

• Chesterfield, UK
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2008, 09:38:18 AM »
Thanks Keith thats clear i will try and find someone who has a box more than 12 months old and bring that one
Mark

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf