Author Topic: Driving in Turkey  (Read 4700 times)

Offline spencer family

Driving in Turkey
« on: August 15, 2008, 09:43:01 AM »
Hi everyone we are coming to Fethiye on Monday and are hiring a car for a few days I saw a post on the forum with road signs etc can someone point me in the right direction please! Have never drove in Turkey before so am a bit apprehensive any tips would be welcome!! :)

Offline Eric

Driving in Turkey
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 10:06:23 AM »
Road signs very similar to uk.  Remember speed limits are in KPH, if you hire a van derivitive such as a Fiat Doblo, the max speed limit is 80KPH.  Remember to drive on the right:D The main thing to remember is to always expect the unexpected from other drivers.  They will come out of side roads and look after they have come out, they will jump red lights, so if yours is on green just have a quick look to your left before you move off.  At night some of the traffic lights will flash either red or amber, you treat these as you can go through but with caution, if your lights are flashing red you must give way to others coming through across you.  On roundabouts you must give way to those entering the roundabout.

You will get motorbikes, and sometimes cars, coming at you on the wrong side of the road.  They are usually going to turn down a side road, or have just come out of one, they will avoid you but it is a bit of a shock when it first happens.

Expect to see some 'wonderful' sights such as 4 or even 5 people on one scooter.

If you have an accident, even a small bump, you must leave tha cars where they are and call the Police/Jandarme.

There is far less traffic here than in the UK so no traffic jams to worry about.

After a short while you will get used to the driving conditions here, we quite enjoy driving over here.  Just be road wise and observant and you will enjoy driving here, trust me I'm a ........?:D
Hope this helps and I am sure others over here will add anything I have missed.

Eric

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Driving in Turkey
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 10:09:09 AM »
Unfortunately Eric forgot to mention the kamikazi dogs.......have one foot hovering over the brake at all times :D

Offline spencer family

Driving in Turkey
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 10:11:08 AM »
Thanks Eric, will take your advice on board 8)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Driving in Turkey
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 11:23:36 AM »
One other tip - if you are on a busy main road and wanting to turn LEFT, unless there is no traffic behind you pull into the right (side of the road) and indicate left. Then turn when both lanes are clear. Pulling to the middle of the road indicating left is not appreciated and often not expected, so you may end up with another car in your boot.

The upside is that while you will see many crazy manouevers, there is no road rage here, so if you need to drive along at 10mph for a while, nobody cares, they just go round you.

Offline Alan Keating

Driving in Turkey
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 14:00:09 PM »
Do ensure you have your driving licence with you, plus the car's rental/insurance details from the provider. Any failure to carry means a fine as a minimum. Do not forget the drink/drive levels, they are LOWER than UK levels.
  I am sure you will get the hang of things and fully enjoy the sights and scenery, not to mentions the herd of goats coming towards you in the fast lane. 8)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 14:00:56 PM by Alan Keating »

Offline Keith

• Middleton, Manchester, UK
Driving in Turkey
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 15:52:25 PM »
Do make sure that the horns working & press it at least every ten to fifteen seconds. Or you may be arrested or something.

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
Driving in Turkey
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 17:16:14 PM »
when you hire the car,do the car hire firms need the new identity english licence or will they still accept the old one

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
Driving in Turkey
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 19:09:23 PM »
Beware of speed trap- they do exist out there

Offline Jackds

Driving in Turkey
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 19:33:03 PM »
The old paper licence works ok.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf