Author Topic: extension  (Read 2389 times)

Offline geordieboy

extension
« on: September 25, 2008, 10:03:54 AM »
I'me looking for information about an extension,and before all the wags jump in I should explain that we have a 3 metre sat dish and I've heard you can buy a bit of kit to extend it to 4 metres, I can remember someone from Marmeris advertising the kit for sale but unfortunately could'nt make contact with him. :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
extension
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 10:10:54 AM »
I've heard they aren't particularly good, as a modular system they don't perform like for like with a single unit - what are you hoping to receive with a 4m that you can't get on the 3m?

Offline geordieboy

extension
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 10:23:20 AM »
We have trouble getting BBC and ITV,I should mention that I dumped the .06 LNB that came with the dish and and fitted a .03 LNB.
Have been in system set up,checked the signal strength,seems well up,signal quality down,have been told that its the signal quality that is the important factor.Have also been told that the tilt of the earth at this time of the year affects the reception,or is someone feeding me a line.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
extension
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 10:32:01 AM »
Sounds like you need Gary to come round and give you a good fiddle  ;)

I have a 3m and get BBC1 & ITV perfectly for 95% of the day - on a dish I bought from a guy who had never seen ITV and only got BBC1 in the late evening. That was 100% down to Gary (member ECHOSTAR on here) and his patience and expertise. He's in the UK for a few weeks now I think but you can get in touch via his profile.

The singal quality/strength will give you an idea but it depends which signal you are testing. Mine is around 30% strength and 80% quality.

The curvature of the Earth does have an effect, we are losing ITV for around 30 minutes at the moment, also atmospheric conditions can affect it too.

The biggest single influence on performance I have found is the box itself - what make/unit are you using?

Offline geordieboy

extension
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 12:32:03 PM »
Thanks for all the info,my box is a pace DS430N,and my signal strength .is about 75 and quality is about 30,bit like yours but in reverse.I'll get in touch with Gary and put it all in his capeable hands. :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
extension
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 13:05:21 PM »
I guess you did what I did, trawled the internet looking for the best box for use abroad - I came up with the Pace DS430N too. Sadly I found not for this part of the World. Gary will let you know which box is best (he normally has them available too) and you will be very surprised. I'd estimate the DS430N was about 20% poorer, and that can mean a lot of lost viewing and quite a few channels you can't get.

Offline geordieboy

extension
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 08:16:02 AM »
Appreciate your info about the box,I acquired the viewing card through the internet,a British firm who for a one off payment arranged an address for you in the UK,opened a sky account,and then sent the card out here.You them filled in a form online listing details of the reciever,which was then passed onto Sky to get the card initiated,I know,a convoluted way of doing things,but it worked,unfortunately however the website is now kaput.
I think the best thing to do,as you suggest,is contact Gary and sort it out.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf