Author Topic: Help on opening a buisness  (Read 12640 times)

Offline Emvs2002

Help on opening a buisness
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 07:45:18 AM »
Just want to thank ronnie as i popped in yesterday and spoke to him about opening up a buisness he gave me some hope that you can open a succesful buisness is this town  :)

Offline amca

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 12:09:23 PM »
My advice would be to check for typos ....... buisness? Ronnie has the same problem with his menu boards sometimes but it has not harmed his buisness. He knows his oinons.

Offline Janice1971

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 19:07:24 PM »
My advice to you is NOT to do it, put your hard earned money in the bank, I wish we had!  We spent 50k (Sterling) on a cake shop and bakery, if the authorities get a sniff that you are English they will make your life a living hell!

Offline Crabbit

• The Fuhrer
  • Prolific Member
  • Location: Here at the moment .... waiting to be with my Angel Pearl again
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 20:20:38 PM »
And Janice is not on her own, it happens to the majority of English who try to start a business.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 20:40:12 PM »
Let's analyse this. Say (for example) you set up a business making food of some description for sale to hotels or restaurants, or even Joe Public. Do everything legally and correctly. What would you think of people doing similar business who didn't set up a legally recognised company, who work from home with no hygiene rules to follow, pay no tax, pay no SSK (National Insurance), have no accountant (or accounts), have no official fees to pay associated with owning a company in Turkey. What would you think of such a setup?

The truth is, it doesn't matter what you think - they'll be in business long after you've given up.

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 07:58:37 AM »
Interesting point Scunner makes and one that was repeated by a Turkish business man I was talking to earlier this year. He was really bitter about the number of English people who were working illegally, cleaning pools, managing property, hiring cars, doing airport transfers etc. and not paying the relevant taxes and insurance etc.

So this seems to be a problem that cuts both ways and equally affects locals as well as foreigners.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2008, 10:32:54 AM »
Absolutely right, but it isn't all about people dodging the system and working illegally. From what I see, the vast majority of people doing such business would actually like to do it legally and above board but know it is as good as impossible. These people slip into the huge cash economy that operates here because there is no viable way to do it legitimately. To do things legally makes them visible and it does appear targeted by bureaucracy and endless rules and regulations.

The net result is that they don't bother, they make more money and Turkey once again misses out on the taxes and genuine employment opportunities. British people have a lot to offer in most industries here, and when making money for themselves could be making money for Turkish partners, the state (in taxes) and employment opportunities for many good local people. There is little or no incentive for many to do that.

My opinion has long been that the work permit system is counter productive for Turkey as a whole, and hugely closed market for a country that apparently wants to join the EU. You can legally run a business but you can't work? What the hell does that mean? Who does that help? A work permit system (if it is insisted upon at all) could be put in place in a couple of hours where an individual can have one, dependent on them employing at least one Turkish national at a sensible/fair salary and paying their SSK/National Insurance. While they pay those, ther work permit is valid. 30 days without paying both (for the British person and the Turkish employee) and the permit is repealed.

Result?  More local employment, more taxes for the Government, more wealth being generated and spent in the country - it's all positives, there is no down side. At the moment we have a hidden batch of cottage industries, making money for the individual Brit only and keeping their heads down. I know the resentment of local Turkish businesses - a classic example is the airport transfer companies - the legitimate Turkish businesses see Brits at the airport picking up, knowing full well they didn't have to pay taxes, correct insurance and for TURSAB membership. Of course it would make you angry. Unfortunately my whole point is that they aren't dodging the system because they WANT to, it's because they have no other option.

Bit long that, sorry  ;)

Offline Jukebox

• Leeds, UK
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2008, 10:59:52 AM »
Very interesting post Keith. It has actually answered a lot of questions I have thought about over the years. It also goes some way to explaining the resentment felt by Turkish people and why perhaps a lot of the aggro takes place in the business world .

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2008, 12:03:52 PM »
the system will have to change accomodate eu rules (if they really want to join that is), but at present it's up to the turkish voter / government who make the rules and vote in those that they want. remember we are guests, yes even the ex pat's or ex johns etc.

Offline cef

• Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2008, 13:34:44 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by c1

the system will have to change accomodate eu rules (if they really want to join that is), but at present it's up to the turkish voter / government who make the rules and vote in those that they want. remember we are guests, yes even the ex pat's or ex johns etc.

(if they really want to join that is),

In a nutshell C1.  The EU are pouring millions of 'Non Repayable' Euro's into Turkey.  This money is supposed to be used to help Turkey bring various parts of their systems & infrastructure up to EU standards.

If, Turkey eventually decide that they Don't really want to join, they get to keep all our money....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf