Author Topic: Help on opening a buisness  (Read 12639 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Help on opening a buisness
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2008, 14:36:05 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by c1

at present it's up to the turkish voter / government who make the rules and vote in those that they want.

And while they do, tons of money to the government is lost because people would be mad to pay it and face the consequences of working illegally. Those of us who pay our business taxes are a tiny minority so you can bet we are talking of many millions of pounds of tax being lost out on.

Offline Emvs2002

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2008, 18:51:56 PM »
wow my topic is on fire. all points on opening my own business have been noted ive now decided to try something along the lines of what i started at ronnies place. was gonna open up a wedding dress shop but have now decided against it. thanks for all the info everyone gave me.

Offline chewyturk

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2008, 11:10:14 AM »
Probably a good choice - There are an awful lot of empty shop buildings in Fethiye up for rent which is a bad sign. The once popular Paspatur area was dead this year and probably will be next year.
BBC News said recently that the global credit crunch is going to get worse, and the biggest-hit country in 2009 will be the UK so next year's tourism season will most likely be bleak.

I'm thinking of opening a Bar in Hisaronu but it's not really a good time.....

Offline stuart

• Professional Spammer
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2008, 01:35:28 AM »
not all doom and gloom on the tourist season next year..i heard feedback from a recent tourism seminar in london that due to the credit crunch turkey will be getting more tourism from the long haul market.
on the lighter side i think opening a bar in the village would be more successful than another wedding dress shop in fethiye!!

Offline LyndaDiane

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2008, 22:51:37 PM »
Bullet point advice.
*make sure your accountant comes with the highest possible recommendations because if they mess up and lose you money you can't sue them for negligence or malpractice, but they can sue you if you refuse to pay them because they messed up and lost you money.
*learn everything you can about the mystical 'stopaj'
*the Turkish equivalent to stamp duty is payable on virtually everything and is 25% of whatever you pay in rent or purchase price.  
*When you ask any authority for imformation, never ever believe the first person you speak to, always check with at least 5 other people to ensure they all give you the same information.  If there is any discrepancy between the information given ask at least another 10 people.  The most frequently given, similar information is likely to be the correct answer, but don't bank on it!
*Be prepared to enact your own version of the Seven Tasks of Asterix whenever dealing with any authority.
*Be prepared to budget for lots of 'Don't ask, just pay' sums of money.
*Work out what you actually need to start your business and then double it and then take away the number you first thought of and multiply it by your mother's birthday.
*If your business involves bringing in goods or supplies from outside Turkey become an expert in the import laws here and try and figure out how much import tax you will pay on everything.  Because it is very high in some cases.  You can't just expect to have stuff sent over on a regular basis and avoid tax.
*Be prepared to pay tax on vitually everything you do (or think about doing)
*You need a Turkish partner, because foreigners cannot run a business in Turkey without one.
*Estate Agents here charge everybody involved in a transaction.  They charge 3% (normally) and bewared the people who tell you how much they want then slap on the KDV (VAT) afterwards and say if you want a fatura (invoice) you must pay the KDV on top.
*Virtually every person you deal with when you first start will rip you off.
*Should you actually overcome all these (and a thousand more) hurdles and your business is even remotely successful, be prepared for at least 10 other people to think 'oh that's a good idea' and copy you.
*Don't employ a lawyer who lives and works in the town you are intending to do business in.  He/she is almost certainly related to or went to school with anybody you are likely to find yourself in opposition with.
*If you rent a property, ensure you have a clause written into your contract (by your out of town lawyer)which fixes the price of the rent, because its not entirely unknown that in the unlikely event that after the first year of trading you are (or just appear to be) successful, your landlord will treble the rent forcing you to seek other premises.
*Be prepared to pay to have virtually every bit of 'official' paper translated by an official interpreter. (Expensive)
*Reasearch, research, research and then when you have finished researching, research some more!

Offline Emvs2002

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2008, 21:33:16 PM »
Thanks for your comment stuart but have you not seen recently how dead hisaronu was last year and the year before in fact every year ive been living here so wow yet another bar in hisaronu on top of all the other hundreds.... cant wait!!!
Have u ever counted how many wedding dress shops there are in Fethiye 6 and only one thats decent, dont mock something you obviously dont know anything about!!! no offence now

Offline Emvs2002

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2008, 21:43:48 PM »
thanks lynda at last a answer to my question instead of all the negatives ive recieved.

Offline brianthegardener

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2008, 22:02:54 PM »
Good luck with you venture Emvs2002, forget the negative comments, YOU go by how YOU feel on your venture...as Dell Boy from Only Fools and Horses would say...He Who Dares Wins...go with your own instincts :D

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2008, 05:06:14 AM »
Funny when people don't get the replies they hoped for and see them as "negative". In fact, they are, but a better word is "realistic". Best for you that you ignore the experiences of those who have done what you are thinking to do. In around 18 months to two years we'll gauge from your posts how the business went.

Offline stuart

• Professional Spammer
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2008, 05:17:47 AM »
your right i dont know about wedding dress shops in fethiye, i apolagise, there seems to be a lot.
just seems a strange choice for a single male to go into, was wondering if it was a wind up.
 however i do know along with the other experianced people on this forum the difficulties of starting a bussiness here and the very high rate of failure. sometimes your better of just puting any money you have in the bank!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf