Author Topic: Bad News and Advice Needed  (Read 7967 times)

Offline Lakers

Bad News and Advice Needed
« on: January 07, 2009, 21:03:31 PM »
Hi everyone and a happy new year to you all.
Just been informed by our maintenace company that our apartment has been broken into.
The burgler had entered our property by damaging the window frame and forcing the lock.
We have been informed the apartment is now secure again, though we want to improve our security to prevent this from happening again.
The property has the usual pvc windows and french doors, have anyone experienced something similar and how have you fixed or improved your security, incuding local companies or tradesman who could help.
We are really upset that our small place in the sun has been entered by someone else and look forward to any advice.

regrds and thks

Depressed Turkey Onwner

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 21:06:58 PM »
Get some window grills fitted.

Offline Firo

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 21:17:23 PM »
And window locks...
If you have grills fitted ensure that the screw tops are spot welded so they cannot be unscrewed to gain access at another time.
Fi

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 21:17:27 PM »
Very sympathetic Tinx

You can get secondary lever deadlocks fitted inside. They are almost impossible to force, and if you managed it you would have created a hell of a lot of noise and taken quite a while to achieve it - both undesirable to a burglar.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Offline Lakers

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 22:03:56 PM »
Thks Scunner, I like the idea of secondary locks as this would not impact on the appearance of the property. can these locks be purchased in Turkey or who would I need to contact someone to fit. Do these locks replace the existing or are thy additional and are fitted to the frame and to prevent the window being opened.

regrds

Lakers

I have been quoted at approx £8 per window by the Maintenance company, though I have no idea on what type of locks they are proposing thks again

Offline Twin Bee

• The Artist Formerly Known As
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 22:12:31 PM »
Keith for someone as stupid as me can you describe this type of lock and how it is fitted and where it could be obtained etc. Many thanks.  
Also I know some people fit additional locking system into the floor. How do these work on patio doors.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 22:15:12 PM »
That's why I had them done, I can't bear the thought of living in the sun behind bars.

£8 sounds like a management company price, get yourself down to the lock guy on the back road in Fethiye - do your deal and save 25%ish on that  :)

They are additional to the existing locks, complimentary if you will  :)

Offline Lucinda

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 04:04:18 AM »
We have dead locks on the doors but opted to put an extra hinge on the opening side of the windows. Simple system, just screw the hinge plate onto the window frame beside the handle and the other bit onto the window.The pin is then put in to lock and removed when you want to open. Very secure and is hardly noticable. Purchase from any of the hunderds of window manufacturers in Fethiye. Remember to do the doors and windows upstairs. Spiderman is alive and well and living here.

Offline Diverbaz 1

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 08:41:59 AM »

We had an attempted break in on Christmas eve, our neighbour disturbed him and he jumped off the first floor balcony (her place not ours) Apparently the police thought he tried our place first (foot prints on the wall) but he could not climb the wall to our balcony. He got on next doors balcony by using the ground floor aparts window bars as a ladder.
Anyway, we have all taken extra security precautions, we did not relish the thought of living behind bars either, so have had extra, what is in effect dead bolts fitted, 2 to each sliding door, they are not too unsightly as they blend in with the frames. They also prevent the doors being lifted off, another way silent access can be gained. These cost 15TL each fitted. The only way now to get in is to break the glass, I don't know if anyone has seen how hard you have to hit a double glazed unit to break it and the noise is like a gun going off, so would attracted unwanted attention.

Baz 8)

Offline calvin 1949

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 09:53:07 AM »
We fitted an wireless  alarm  brought out from the Uk ,hopefully if there is any attempt to break in the noise will deter them !!!! Calvin

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf