Author Topic: Bad News and Advice Needed  (Read 7936 times)

Offline slartibartfast

Bad News and Advice Needed
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 13:23:15 PM »
I was recommended to use the Locksmith opposite the Dolmus garage (effectively the street which runs "behind" Erin Spot".)

His name is Atilla , and I was very impressed by his attitude and his work.  I thought what he charged was reasonable and he gave sensible advice.      He fitted more secure lock barrels on some doors, security turn locks on windows and steel pins on sliding patio doors.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 13:54:00 PM »
That's the fella  :)

One of the good guys

Offline milorni

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 16:35:44 PM »
I had additional locks fitted onto all my windows and doors, they are like handles in white to match the UPVc windows and your turn them across from the frame over the window or door. I've 2 per door and 1 per window and think it cost me about £100 for about 14 in total fitted.Are these the same as some of you have mentioned?

Offline Tykatem

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 17:10:05 PM »
The internal pvc window and door latches that Atilla uses are excellent, they cost 15 YTL each (that's supplied & fitted), you need 2 - 3 per window/door depending on the size of the frame. With these in the locked position, there's no movement in the frame whatsoever. Much better and less obtrusive than having grilles obscuring your view and works out much cheaper too.

Pete

Offline legless

• Muppet on Wheels
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 21:58:37 PM »
Atilla, one of the most helpful Guys out there along with his brothers.

Always charged me a fair price have always been happy with his work and price

Ron

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 20:22:46 PM »
On the debate regarding window bars or turn locks , the one big difference is you can lob a brick through the window and get in if you don't have  bars.    We don't have bars so I'm not advocating them ... just poining out a feeling of security is relative .. You could do both to be sure ;-)

When we had Atilla out a the Villa we had a balcony door which had no key.   I was gobsmacked how eaily he opened the lock with a "jemmy".  He recommended we fit locks which were much harder to "pick" on vunerable doors (ones with easy acccess).  They weren't too expensive for the (relative) peace of mind :-)

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2009, 18:42:51 PM »
atilla fitted those same locks for me, on every window and doors,great fella and no mess
and i also got the grills for good measure

Offline marjo

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2009, 11:24:07 AM »
we too have had Atilla fit the window locks & bolts to our patio doors. When we first came to live here we were broken into the first winter & lost a great deal-we learnt the lesson the hard way :(-so we got bars & the locks fitted too.  
Like everyone else we are very happy with his workmanship & prices. The locks & bolts are hardly noticeable & well worth having. Just wished we'd had them done right away! Now we recommend them to everybody! :)

Offline poppy50

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2009, 16:45:43 PM »
Hi

Really good advice on locks, however, can I ask is it the norm to change the locks as soon as you become owners of property?  Asking this because we are about to move in to our apartment.

Offline cef

• Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2009, 17:10:53 PM »
Poppy, changing the locks is a priority, lord knows who has keys to your place  8)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf