Author Topic: warning to you all about electrical items!!  (Read 2210 times)

Offline crystalgirl

warning to you all about electrical items!!
« on: May 06, 2009, 06:20:15 AM »
Well, I posted about fed ex and customs last week, well I thought I should warn you all.  I have used Fed Ex on lots of occasions, but never had an experience like this before, and the reason being the item is electrical and digital!!  I order a digital cutter from America, as I am a crafter, it was reduced from 500 dollars to 150 dollars, and I was so excited about this special offer.  I read on the fed ex website that I was allowed to order up to 100 dollars without having to pay tax, anything over was 18 percent tax, I thought well 30 lira thats ok, and to be expected.  
MNG arrived at my door 3 days ago with an envelope, I said to the bloke wheres my parcel, and that was it, I thought oh its in customs in fethiye, ok again to be expected.  Well turns out customs wants 150 lira, and that my parcel was in Istanbul and they expected me to go there and collect it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  
What is the point having a customs in Fethiye if they are not going to use it!!!
After a lot of phone calls, we discovered that to get the paperwork to have someone working on my behalf would cost 400 lira, and that the nearest we could get the parcel was Izmir.  So we have had it sent to Izmir, but I still dont have my parcel, and I have to pay another 20 dollars for the stamp or something and I have to confirm that it is for my own personal use.  The problem is that it is electrical and I am only allowed 100 lira worth of stuff into the country, dispite the other things we keep reading!!  That is where the problem lies.  I dont mind to pay the tax but to have to drag all the way to Izmir is a bummer!!  And how I am going to get there and when goodness knows, and it is playing on my mind, because these things are never simple.
So my advice dont order anything over 100 lira, and not electrical!! Get someone to bring for you!!
:(

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 08:37:46 AM »
I ordered shoes from USA the parcels were over $100 arrived no problem, but anything over £100 mechanical or electrical has to be cleared by customs via Istanbul.  
There was a great deal on a camera from the UK reduced to £150 but I could not have it sent to our address because is was over £100 and needed clearance, pushed the price up beyond the original so did not bother.

Caveat emptor

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 10:57:13 AM »
That's a bummer, especially when you want to play with your new toy!
Perhaps someone going to Izmir soon could give you a lift????
Did you buy a cricut by any chance?

Offline crystalgirl

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 14:03:55 PM »
No its a quickutz silhouette, and yes desperate for a play!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf