Author Topic: Council Tax  (Read 4828 times)

Offline antonia1966

Council Tax
« on: June 20, 2009, 14:23:12 PM »
Could anyone explain how the council tax is worked out here.  Is it according to the number on people on your tapu, or the size of property?  We are getting mixed messages!  Last year we paid £113!!
This year friends of ours in the same size villa on the same plot only paid 80 lira per person.  Where another friend was told she only had to pay one amount this year, where she has always paid 2.

Help this is all so confusing.

Offline cathy h

Council Tax
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 14:43:14 PM »
Hi Sonia,
My own experience is that the tax is based on the square metres of the apartment / villa.
If there is one name on the tapu it is one payment, if 2 or 3 names then that same amount is split into 2 or 3.
Mine was about 80 TL this year split between 2 of us,

Cathy

Offline grahamturner09

Council Tax
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 15:08:49 PM »
Hi you may find the same as me I had to pay two years. As I had a tapu for one year without living permission and on that year I had to pay tax for the land that is more than tax for the property with living permmision

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

Council Tax
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 16:17:04 PM »
My understanding is that property tax is calculated on the value of the property inserted in the deed. In the past it was common for sellers to put values in that were a great deal less than the purchase price. Thus the tax value is a lot less than what it really should be. The government clamped down on this practice a couple of years ago and fined most estate agents for inserting low values. Although low values mean lower tax it can cause problems on sale as capital gains will be calculated on the difference between the sale price and the valuation. CGT is only payable if a property is sold within 6 years of purchase. The tax is calculated on the number of people recorded on the Tapu.If 2 people are recorded then the tax is twice the individual amount.

Offline sooty

Council Tax
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 16:30:43 PM »
Sorry Ovacikpeedoff but this is not so, my husbands name and my own are on the tapu and this year we only paid 80 lira, last year we paid double that amount, I think we didn't have our living permission last year this may be something to do with it, who knows.

Offline grahamturner09

Council Tax
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 19:40:23 PM »
The tax is for the property if there are two names then it is half each. The value on the tapu is for the property tax when you buy.

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

Council Tax
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 18:32:40 PM »
Sooty

I am right. The reason I know it is that when we purchased our property and it was in my name and my wife's maiden name. When I went to pay the tax I told them that my wife is a joint owner the tax I had to pay was double. The value of the property in the Tapu is initially for purchase tax calculation at a rate of 3 per cent. The value is indexed linked and the years tax is calculated at a rate of 0.03 per cent of the valuation.

We own some land up the coast and because we do not have a property on it the tax is much higher than if we did have a property on it. You paid higher tax last year because your property did not exist in a legal sense without a habitation certificate and thus it was taxed similar to my land.

Offline sooty

Council Tax
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 11:38:47 AM »
I stand corrected then!!!!

Offline littlereddevil

Council Tax
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 12:28:57 PM »
So if I have 100 sq metres how much will I be ?

Offline sunnyd

Council Tax
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 14:52:19 PM »
council tax is worked out by the size of the property and the location. You can't just work it out from the size. The payment is one, then split between the amount of names on the title deed.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf