Author Topic: Trip to Istanbul  (Read 4650 times)

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Trip to Istanbul
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 18:16:12 PM »
Yes Hotel Taskonak is a nice Boutique hotel right in the Heart of Sultanahmet where most of the main attractions are. Stayed there earlier this year....smallish but extremely friendly. Will do free transfers if you stay,I think five days. :)

Offline Old Daffodil

Trip to Istanbul
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 19:57:58 PM »
We flew to Sabihe Gokcen airport on the Asian side of Istanbul. We were able to catch a bus from the airport to the sea bus terminal at the Bospherouse and cross to Eminonu where we caught a taxi to the Sultanhamet area which is very near and has most of the tourist attractions such as the Blue Mosque, Hag Sophia and Topkapi Palace.A very pretty hotel in the area is the Green House or Yesil Ev.  We had suitcases with us so a taxi was a good idea rather than the metro on this occasion. The metro made travel very easy, just buy a token at a little booth and slip it into the machine as at an English rail station. The grand bazaar is also easy to reach by metro from the Sultanhamet area. If you like a fish meal the restaurants underneath the Galata Bridge are good and you can sit and watch the ships. It is lovely at night.
The metro will take you over to the Asian side of the city which has the Dolmabahce palace, Taksim square and the more modern shopping malls further out on that line.

Offline mike A

• Prolific Member
Trip to Istanbul
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 22:43:58 PM »
"The metro will take you over to the Asian side of the city which has the Dolmabahce palace, Taksim square and the more modern shopping malls further out on that line."

The areas mentioned above are not on the Asian side, still Europe I'm afraid. 8)

Offline Old Daffodil

Trip to Istanbul
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 23:13:05 PM »
Whoops sorry!

Offline kanga

Trip to Istanbul
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 23:55:43 PM »
try the AND HOTEL right next to the
Hagia Sophia mosque in sultanhammet
amazing roof top bar and restaurant

kanga

Offline kevman

Trip to Istanbul
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2009, 00:34:02 AM »
Thanks so much for all your information. Roll on September, really looking forward to it. will post reviews later.

Offline Old Daffodil

Trip to Istanbul
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2009, 01:35:52 AM »
Whilst on the subject of Istanbul, has anyone visited the Kanyon shopping centre and if so, what was in there?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Trip to Istanbul
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2009, 04:15:25 AM »
Take a look at the Kanyon website

http://www.kanyon.com.tr/main_en.html

Offline Old Daffodil

Trip to Istanbul
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2009, 07:59:43 AM »
Have to go and look  when we are in Istanbul!

I liked going on the furnicular from Kabatash to Taksim square too.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Trip to Istanbul
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2009, 09:14:18 AM »
We got a taxi over the bridge to the Cevhir shopping mall.  It took about 20 minutes and was 15TL. The Kanyon was just a bit further on.  Cevhir was huge and a had car park in basement then the next floor had lots household shops selling furniture etc., also supermarkets and ATM's.  Then there was about 4 floors of shops selling clothes, shoes, electrical goods etc., Lots of well know shops, like Mango & Debenhams also C.&.A's which I realised I had missed now it's not in the U.K.  The top floor had lots of food outlets and interesting a large tobacco shop which had Havana Cigars. There was a taxi rank outside which was very convenient for our return.
Reference our Hotel, we also had lovely views down to the cruise ships from the bar/restaurant/roof terrace which had sun loungers, also because we booked for over 3 days got free pick up at airport and free 3 course dinner with a choice of two restaurants.  Hotel also had a pool, fitness suite and sauna in the basement.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf