Author Topic: Fethiye Harbour and area around it.  (Read 2244 times)

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
Fethiye Harbour and area around it.
« on: July 17, 2009, 20:39:18 PM »
We live as many of you know in Fethiye and frequently go down to the harbour and have been on about 5 boat trips with our visitors this year. I have never seen the bay looking so dirty and at times the smell is awful. This smell now permeates to some of the bays in which people are swimming. I have noticed as have others that this debris is now extending further outwards to places which used to be a pleasure to swim in. Visiting the restaurants along the new area of Fethiye it looks gorgeous at night and indeed during the day until you sit close to the edge!! The sea and the rubbish in it has to be seen to be believed. I know that there is always talk about getting something done about it but this problem is getting much worse. Added to that the rubbish thrown on the Island trips is getting to be an embarrasment. I love Fethiye before anyone complains about my negativity but this will probelm not go away.

Offline Old Daffodil

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 21:58:39 PM »
What can be done though. It must be a very difficult problem to tackle.

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 22:16:30 PM »
When we were there last week. A guy was going along with a net and fishing out rubbish.

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 09:40:41 AM »
I noticed it was an awful mess last month when we were out.
We live down by the promenade.

Offline captainjon

• Ignore - Total Dickhead
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 19:33:32 PM »
Hi Mercury,There is no quick fix to this problem.There is little or no tide here to take it out to sea.The prevailing winds in the summer are all on shore. Whilst the boat repair yards continue where they are most of this problem will remain.But it is made worse I believe, by a large number of shoreline/and small boat fishermen who chuck their empty Raki bottles away,leave the plastic bags they bring their bread in and anything alse they connot be bothered to take away, on the beach,and lastly as we are on summer holidays here,large amounts of weekenders BBQ down the beach at calis and leave their rubbish behind them to blow about or spread by all the street dogs who are looking for a meal.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf