Author Topic: missing walker  (Read 6589 times)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
missing walker
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 11:59:21 AM »
And, then there's the case of John Darwin who disappeared in his canoe in March 2002, and then "re-surfaced" in December 2007.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/jul/23/canoe.timeline

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
missing walker
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 12:01:13 PM »
Would anyone be interested in doing a search/walk party in the area?
it would have to include  someone who knows the area well, maybe covering outlaying areas that may not have been covered in the present search?

Tinx

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
missing walker
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 12:22:51 PM »
I've walked in that area several times and the Lycian Way is very well marked. However, once you get off of the marked pathway there are some treacherous drops and hundreds of places into which a person/body could disappear.

I'm pretty sure that AKUT and the Jandarma have far better resources and local knowledge of the area than any of us. They'll have villagers from Kirme and Faralya, and local walking guides, who have intimate knowledge of the terrain working with them in a methodical search. They're also using microlights and a helicopter to assist in the search.

I don't think we'd be doing them any favours by turning-up and doing our own thing and I doubt that they'd be willing to share information about un-searched outlying areas with "outsiders" at this stage.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 12:25:47 PM by KKOB »

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
missing walker
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 12:30:20 PM »
I'll bow to your superior knowledge Alan ;)

Offline Harmless

missing walker
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 13:33:45 PM »
They have extensively covered the area of the walk and the surrounding areas, plus, just about anywhere else they think he could have wandered to.  
The local villagers have been helping, as have the staff at the Dolphin and even some of the guests.
We can just hope that he turns up safe and sound.

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
missing walker
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 21:25:23 PM »
i watched his wife and daughter on tv today,hope someone finds him soon

Offline Jackds

missing walker
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 14:16:14 PM »
Daily Mail today.

'The wife of a Briton missing in Turkey fears he may have been kidnapped by bandits' I personally don't think that comments like this help his cause and are misleading. I too have walked that section, I have never seen any Bandits but plenty of places to disappear if your not careful. Does anybody know what time of day he started his walk?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
missing walker
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 14:36:00 PM »
He set of at 10am and was expecting to be back by 4pm or 6pm (Times differ according to which paper you read)

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/blackpoolnews/Family39s-heartbreak-over-missing-grandad.5559410.jp

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
missing walker
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009, 15:22:40 PM »
I really hope he is found safe and well.

I really think though that walking for 6 -8 hours in that sort of area, in that heat, on your own and at 67 years of age is not something I would want to risk. I wouldn't be worried about 'bandits' more about getting into difficulties when alone and maybe finding myself out of range for the mobile signal.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 15:23:30 PM by stoop »

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
missing walker
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2009, 16:39:02 PM »
There's almost 100% coverage for mobiles along the entire 500 kms of the Lycian Way.

As for going out walking in those conditions for 6 - 8 hours, I agree with you Stoop, it's foolhardy.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf