Author Topic: Horses in Ovacik  (Read 5148 times)

Offline geordieboy

Horses in Ovacik
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 12:24:24 PM »
Announcement over the loudspeaker system the other day to the effect that the owners of horses,sheep,etc let adrift would face prosecution.

Offline Old Daffodil

Horses in Ovacik
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 12:38:59 PM »
I have just seen a brown and a white horse wandering the main road into Ovacik. If anyone is driving up here soon, day or night slow down your speed as the horses wander along in the middle of the lanes.
A lot of the horses in the area look seriously underweight and the vet here agrees with me on that matter.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Horses in Ovacik
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 13:18:10 PM »
Can't you get the Vet in Ovacik to report the condition of the horses to the Forestry Dept. ?

Offline Old Daffodil

Horses in Ovacik
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 14:06:22 PM »
I don't know. What do the forestry commission have to do with badly fed horses that wander about?

The vet is aware the horses are underweight and need more care. What sort of action would be appropriate to take in this situation?

Offline stuart

• Professional Spammer
Horses in Ovacik
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 15:45:30 PM »
i would have thought the local vet would know what the appropreate action to take is.

i am not a huge animal lover..but was driving thru kaya village last midsummer and pulled over to let a bunch of tourists on horseback go bye. i was pretty sickened by the sight of them they looked seriously malnutritioned, hot and urinated off to say the least and had open sores where the sadles and tackle were rubbing them..

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Horses in Ovacik
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2009, 15:45:42 PM »
Well, according to Tinkerman's first post in this thread, the welfare of the horses is the Forestry Dept's responsibility.

Or, why not report them to the Zabita Polis ?

Offline terrie

Horses in Ovacik
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2009, 15:54:40 PM »
Yes KKOB is correct, in saying the vet should report this to the forestry commission,strange as it might be they have to deal with anything to do with animals,not the zabita or anyone else.
The vet should know this anyway,but if not,the commission is located next to the taxi rank(next to the fethiye tuesday market..the building is called 'Orman isletme Muudurlugu'..the chief is sedat bey and the phone number is 6141086.we have met him before,but his english is not good,so it would need be a turkish person reporting this .hope this helps as it sounds there may be a problem up there.simon.

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
Horses in Ovacik
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2009, 15:58:31 PM »
The responsibilty does lay with the man in the forestry commission in Fethiye, I was told by Perihan when attempting to sort the problem out in Kaya, if the vet wants to sort this thats where he will end up.

Andy

Offline Old Daffodil

Horses in Ovacik
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2009, 16:34:00 PM »
Is the reason the commission was involved in Kaya because they were going on to forestry land? What would the amount of food and care have to do with them? I do not know what the vet wants to do so cannot speak for him. The police see the horses as they are not hidden away. Is anyone friendly with the riding school owner who would be able to have a word with him.

Offline ytokgoz

• www.propertyandturkey.com
Horses in Ovacik
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2009, 00:23:37 AM »
the horses are everywhere, i guess the stables lettig them go in the winter and beginning of summer they collect them from the mountains...it is cheaper that way for them...horses eat whatever they can eat. the other day i went up to mendos mountain for hunting and there were at least 80-90 horses free...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf