Author Topic: Light the blue touch paper  (Read 1867 times)

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
Light the blue touch paper
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 10:05:52 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by heather07

I am sure they did GB.  It doesn't mean to say it is right.

Or wrong - don't get me wrong I worked in a school for many years and good teachers are the most inspiring people whilst bad ones are all too common, but I know how protected teachers are in comparison to administrators or indeed workers in other sectors. :-\

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 10:08:38 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by julesbob0303

The school I work at has 1600 pupils between 11-18, and the majority of the staff (teachers and senior staff) live out of the area.  Most of the support staff (like myself) are more local, and would therefore be able to get to work, but who would want their children "taught" by unqualified people, in large groups?  :(

If there was common sense then staff would be asked to make it in to a local school rather than the one they possibly travel several miles to get too on a normal working day.

Offline minimoo

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 10:12:57 AM »
I think a major contributor to this problem, i.e. people not being able to get into work, be they teachers or whatever, is that as the majority of the UK has enjoyed so many snow free winters over the last 10 or 15 years, that people are not comfortable driving in these conditions. More and more people are working outside of their home towns, making it very difficult when there is snow and ice. I passed my driving test 18 years ago and have never driven in snow. I am not sure that I would handle it particularly well either...luckily I only have the roads of Turkey to contend with these days.

Another problem is the media scaring folk into not going out...maybe they would serve us better by giving tips on safe driving in the snow and ice.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 15:30:25 PM »
Another problem is that there are 10 times+ more cars on the road since we all went to school. Hence it can take 3 hours to travel a mile. IN my day you could travel a mile in the snow and not see another car.

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 11:24:05 AM »
I remember going to school during winter of 1963 in short trousers as stoop states no cars on the road as most didn't have one. we walked, and if teachers have to drive 50 miles they are in the wrong school. As most childern's parents work to pay to keep a roof over their families head and pay taxes to enable teachers and other "Key workers" employered on far better terms and conditions that they themselves enjoy.Many super market workers won't get paid if they don't make up the hours lost by them not getting to work due to the fact they have to stay at home and look after the kids.Buy some wellingtons and walk ;)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 11:25:34 AM by c1 »

Offline ronzeus

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 15:08:49 PM »
A car in our day ,you must have been realy posh Stoop,I used to walk. ;)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2010, 16:02:35 PM »
Cars weren't invented in his day, I think that's what he means  :)

Offline maximumtom

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2010, 11:34:27 AM »
Teacher bashing comes around every year , like the conker season.
I taught maths to 'A' level for 9 years but gave it up in 1980( I didn't like the way authority was being taken from teachers) and got a job designing computer software for nuclear submarines. I know which I would rather do.
Would all those people who like to knock teachers please state what their job is so that we can all have a go at estate agents, solicitors, accountants, plumbers, electricians etc. etc.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2010, 11:48:44 AM »
I used to work at the local School as a secretary and I know, like any other job some teachers are dedicated and some are not.  We had a great Head Teacher who moved heaven and earth to keep the school open. He was so admired by all the kids and the parents, he was a pleasure to work for. Of course, he was poached to go to a desk job by the region.  When he left we got another Head Teacher.  The first week he was there I went to speak to him, he was not in his class, the kids where alone, when I when to the staff room he was on the phone to a chemist in his previous town asking what the brand of bunion cream was he used to buy!!! I think you can guess that he did everything he could to get a day off.    I am not knocking any good teacher but teachers are all not dedicated angels.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 12:48:50 PM by Jacqui Harvey »

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2010, 14:50:08 PM »
I have worked as an exams officer in a school as well the cover organiser - I had never seen teachers I a bad light until I worked with them. Now I work as an administrator in a university - I have made it into University every single day and the University was open - the school next door was closed!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 22:52:17 PM by Gorgeous_bird »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf