Author Topic: Light the blue touch paper  (Read 1871 times)

Offline mike A

• Prolific Member
Light the blue touch paper
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2010, 19:41:39 PM »
As a care worker it is essential that I get out to my clients whatever the weather, fortunately for me I am having two weeks holiday at the moment but in the heavy snow we had in the south before christmas my job was seriously hampered by abandoned cars on a number of occasions, in these conditions I think it is farcical to expect teachers to attempt to get to schools if they know the children will not be there, its a waste of time and makes the roads dangerous for essential workers.

Offline Mazza09

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2010, 21:40:43 PM »
I think the teachers are lucky to be given the time off and paid for it. I have to drive 26 miles to get to work. I am a veterinary nurse and i dont think owners would be impressed or understand if when their treasured pooch is ill, nobody was there to treat it. unfortunately i wouldnt get paid either if i didnt go to work. And sadly i do not get paid anywhere near what teachers get paid. i have taught in the past however and enjoyed the fantastic wages but missed the animals. Luckily my children are old enough not to cause issues with childcare whilst i HAVE to go to work and schools and nurseries are closed, unlike some of the other staff.

Offline Pompeylil

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2010, 21:56:27 PM »
Along with the Head, Governors, staff, parents and their partners Marc and I helped to clear the school (where I work and my youngest child attends) of snow.  We have made enough spaces for the staff that live out of the area to be able to park their cars and the path ways clear for the children to walk on.
We have requested that the parents walk with their children, as the roads around the school are still quite slippery, surrounding roads being on hills and slopes. The children do not have to wear their uniform so that they are warm and comfortable.
I am part time but have spent the last few days sorting through cupboards to find surplus materials etc for the crafts that are on going and searching through our National Geographic magazines to see what ones can be used for this terms topics.

I do not agree with the closing of all the schools, however when too many staff live out of the area in the villages that are not yet cleared of snow and fallen trees we can only open when we have enough staff to be able to cover the classes.  

Offline Lynn Hurst

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2010, 00:53:41 AM »
Hello, I am just learning my way around this forum and catching up with previous topics. I to work in the Care Sector in a residential home for the elderly, if myself and my colleagues and thousands of others in the country hadn't made it to work for WHATEVER reason during the big freeze there would have been a public outcry, and rightly so. :). Lynn

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf