Author Topic: Buying a Vehicle - Non Residents  (Read 14372 times)

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Buying a Vehicle - Non Residents
« on: January 10, 2010, 10:35:12 AM »
Hi - read a couple of comments in another post that made me think it was worth raising this in a new post?

"there was a registration problem at the traffic police after Bayram. non residents could not be registered on the system. a new computer form could not be filled out. has any non resident bought a scooter on their passport since christmas?"

and

Hi,Its all changed again now if you want a scooter,car,or bike youve got to have residency now, my mate paid in full for a brand new car at the ford dealers but he could not register it in his name, but they never told him that when he was buying it and refused any refund,crafty move dont you think not telling him.

Interested if anyone has any experinces since January 1st 2010?

See: http://{A Link to an old CBF topic was here - no longer available}31317&whichpage=4

Ian (disappointed now I can't buy a scooter in April!) [:(!] [:(!]

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 11:23:26 AM »
Well, I've not tested the theory, but here's something to think about.

The new requirement is that to purchase a vehicle you must have a Foreigner ID Number. To get one you must have, or have had in the past, a Residence Permit. You can get a Residence Permit for as little as 1 month which will cost you £40 plus 10 TL for the translation office. (Although it's probably more sensible to get one for 3 or 6 months). So, you get a 1 month Residence Permit, which then entitles you to a Foreigner ID Number and then you buy your vehicle.

I don't currently have a Residence Permit but I DO have a valid Foreigner ID Number.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 11:25:22 AM by KKOB »

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 11:49:08 AM »
KKOB - you are very ingenious - it would be good if someone could try it!

Many thanks - Ian

Ps Did you ever produce statistics for the Government in a previous life  ;)

Offline dreamon

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 11:53:47 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Ian

Ps Did you ever produce statistics for the Government in a previous life  ;)

How do you think the UK got in this mess in the first place :D:D

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 12:11:59 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Ian

Did you ever produce statistics for the Government in a previous life  ;)

No, I'm too clever for that ! :D ;):D

I've got a 1st Class (Hons) Degree in "Reading Between The Lines"  ;)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 12:14:13 PM by KKOB »

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 13:12:10 PM »
KKOB - I will now slightly change my plans (that always means my budget spreadsheet as well!!!) and come over in April and buy a 100cc Mondial - as after looking at the road tax calculator - there is none to pay for a 99.8cc bike!!!

Then I will obtain a "one-off" 6-month residency visa for £190.

I am not sure what the "translation office" fee of £10 is but please don't tell me I have to engage a translator - as everytime I hear of anyone doing this the fees go up each time - 200 / 300 / 350 YTL

Anyway if my assumptions ( and your theory are correct ) I will save 220 YTL on my scooter purchase plus approx 400 YTL road tax over 5-years which = 620 YTL - pay out 450 YTL for 6-month visa plus 50 YTL for translation office = 500 YTL gives me a net gain of 24 YTL per annum.

Ian  :)

Ps A good mornings work - anyone know where I can get 2 x 12 YTL Sunday lunches with my savings 8)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 13:25:02 PM by Ian »

Offline kevin b

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 13:17:10 PM »
Where can this new rule be found or who should I contact to verify this as I am looking to buy a car & have no res permit.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 13:23:29 PM »
Not £10 for the translator ! 10 TL. Your final mission when you get back the Pasaport Polis after running around Fethiye is to take your application form across the road to a translator who then puts all the info on to his computer and prints the form out. (Apparently the forum won't be accepted at Mugla if it's hand-written.) You then take it back to the PP. Job done.

Don't forget that if this is your first application for a Residence Permit, you need to buy the blue/grey book for it. This year's price is 138 TL. You'll also need 6 passport size photos.

Do you know how and where you get the forms stamped, payments made etc ?

I hope you also realise that your passport has to go to Mugla with your application and it could take up to 6 weeks for it to be processed ? Although they are often turned round in 10 to 14 days you have to allow for Sod's Law.

quote:
Originally posted by kevin b

Where can this new rule be found or who should I contact to verify this as I am looking to buy a car & have no res permit.

Ask about it at any of the Main Dealers or at the Trafik Polis offices at Patlangic (opposite Kocatepe Nissan).
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 13:29:14 PM by KKOB »

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 13:30:51 PM »
KKOB - no idea - I think I might be ringing you (if I give you a ride on my new scooter from time to time!!!)

I will have to change my spreadsheet again now - 10 YTL firmed up for translator = 40 YTL saving.

Blue/Grey Book 138 YTL (not budgeted for - so I 'll have the cheapest colour blue or grey!!) now means my saving of 120 YTL over 5 years is eroded and I now have a net gain of only 22 YTL.

Please would you come with me for 22 YTL???  ;)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 13:34:37 PM »
I'll come with you for the price of a cuppa mate, so you'll show a profit of 21.50! :D
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 13:35:05 PM by KKOB »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf