Author Topic: Bringing a TV in as hand luggage?  (Read 4472 times)

Offline DebbieLapis

Bringing a TV in as hand luggage?
« on: January 14, 2010, 09:44:45 AM »
I've been renting out my apartment in Turkey for a few years now and think that I am losing possible rentals because there is no TV - some people want to have something for their kids to play games on or parents to watch videos on etc.

I'm thinking of bringing a TV over on my next trip - has anyone else done this and experienced any problems?

The other option is to buy a good value (cheap) or second hand TV out there but when I've looked previously it seems quite expensive.

Any ideas/advice???

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 09:56:15 AM »
be careful bringing TVs in your hand or other luggage, as they do and will scan anything that looks like a flat screen on arrival. I bought some pictures in the customs guys was most disapointed when the scanner didn't show up a tv. some people are lucky and get away with hiding Tv in suit case.

Offline captainjon

• Ignore - Total Dickhead
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 10:10:43 AM »
A turkish friend of mine brought a flat screen back from the UK in his hand luggage via dalaman without problem,but if the size of the hand luggage follows regs it may not be large enough for an apartment.However,if you put a larger one in your suitcase,a night flight into dalaman may be helpful as they pay little attention to anyone manning the scanner.

Offline DebbieLapis

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 10:19:06 AM »
Thank you c1 and Captainjon for your replies - I'm not much of a risk taker as I've found that if anyone will get caught out it'll be me!  Must have a guilty look or something!

So, the next best option would be to buy one locally - does anyone know of a good place to go to buy a TV/DVD or is anyone looking to sell one second hand?

« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 10:19:34 AM by DebbieLapis »

Offline scorcher

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 10:20:09 AM »
Ms. DebbieLapis - Merhaba! Plis be informing the undersigned of yor timing of coming and one of my peoples will greet you and pacages with opening of arms.signed Yusuf Goca -Head of Customs @ Dalaman. Am thanking you all for kindest forum - good clues . YCx

Offline DebbieLapis

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 10:26:11 AM »
:D  Dear Yusuf Goca - so glad you will be able to welcome me to help process my things through Customs - I very much look forward to the expreience of meeting you and your colleagues!!!

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 12:18:39 PM »
A neighbour of mine at Violet brought over a 15in flat screen, not in, but as his hand luggage. It was confiscated at Dalaman and he had to go back the following day and pay 78 quid duty:(So be careful.

Offline DebbieLapis

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 12:26:05 PM »
Thank you Kenkay - From info provided I have definitely decided not to try and bring a TV in to the country!

Offline Firo

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 12:27:40 PM »
Bought a 19" flat screen in my hold luggage 3 years ago and had no problem Prehaps the scanner wasn't working then.. ;):D

Offline DebbieLapis

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 12:35:24 PM »
Well, with a smile like yours I'm sure you'd get away with murder! [:o)]

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf