Author Topic: Money advice  (Read 3854 times)

Offline gazztop

Money advice
« on: June 23, 2010, 11:15:15 AM »
I am coming over in just over a week on holiday.
What is best to bring GBP, turkish lira, travellers cheques or credit card ?
I was told probably to take english money or go to the cash machines over there ?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline marina

Money advice
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 11:57:26 AM »
We usually take a bit of turkish lira to see you through the first day, then bring sterling to change over there as you'll get a better rate than in UK.  

After that we use the cash machines.  I know the one by the water taxis/bridge to promenade (you'll see it when you get there) gives you the option of taking out lira, sterling or euros. (Believe others do too) We usually get sterling if it's available as it's a straight transaction out of your bank account and you can then change if for the rate you get in resort.

Offline gazztop

Money advice
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 11:11:07 AM »
We were thinking along those lines but its good to be reassured thanks

Offline kevin b

Money advice
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 11:17:28 AM »
Bring enough tl for 1 or 2 days & the rest in gbp & change it at a bank with passport for better rate than the street exchangers.beware the cash machines in Calis have been hit by scammers lately.

Offline marina

Money advice
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 11:42:54 AM »
Think if you are using the cash machines, just take the same kind of precautions you would at home.  There's usually the two of us go together and the one by the water taxis is in an enclosed booth so not so easy for someone to come looking over your shoulder and ask if you need any help (especially with two of you in there!) which I think is what has been happening.

Offline amanda bullock

Money advice
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 14:58:16 PM »
so is it better to draw out sterling at the atm's? would this get you a better rate when you change it in calis?

Offline marina

Money advice
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 15:13:26 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by amanda bullock

so is it better to draw out sterling at the atm's? would this get you a better rate when you change it in calis?

Well I know when we've used the atm's and used our Nationwide card to draw sterling it's just been a straightforward cash withdrawal (i.e. no extra charges. Whether other banks use the same policy I don't know, though can't imagine why they should charge if you're only getting sterling from a UK bank account) and we've then been able to change that sterling for the rate in the resort rather than depend the rate that the bank will use if you withdraw lira, so have always thought we got a better deal that way.

Offline saoirse

Money advice
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 15:21:25 PM »
you get a better rate by just withdrawing the lira using your nationwide-have regularly checked the rate in Turkey on the day of withdrawl against that which appears on nationwide statement

Offline marina

Money advice
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 15:26:47 PM »
Really?  Must check things more often!  

Will try that next time and see what we get, though I do know that Nationwide is one of the best for using abroad.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Money advice
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 16:27:27 PM »
We use our Nationwide card and get lira, there are no card charges and we use the machine by the bridge, or the Banks in Fethiye as they usually have guards (with guns) outside.  Don't bother with a credit card.  I know cards like Santander don't charge for overseas purchases, but the shops will charge you to use them 8% extra is the going rate.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf