Author Topic: Operation Goat Watch  (Read 6819 times)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Operation Goat Watch
« on: June 27, 2010, 23:37:29 PM »
The Yalcin Bar in Ovacik has had a young kid (goat) tied up outside its bar in the heat of the day for some time now it would appear.

A few days ago I went on the request of the Animal Shelter Manager who had received a complaint from a tourist about the goat being tied up there in the heat of the sun.

I explained to a senior member of staff that it is illegal under the Turkish Animal Protection Law to keep animals outside of its natural habitat and that it is also illegal to use animals to attract customers into their bar/restaurant.

I got a long sob story about the goat losing its mummy and how it loved to be in the bar and blah blah blah.

I have been passed a few times in the day and haven't seen it there. However I went there again tonight and there it was tied up on the steps.

So, tonight I had the pleasure of meeting Yalcin Bay himself who told me that they no longer keep it tied up there in the day and it has the run of their garden.

I will report the current situation back to the AS Manager but in the meantime can anyone who sees this young goat tied up there during the day please report back here.

Or, better still remind the staff that it is not ok to keep any animal tied up in the hot summer sun as a tourist attraction and that Yalcin Bay himself said that it should be in the garden during the day.

Thank you  :)

Offline cheers

Operation Goat Watch
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 23:46:23 PM »
Nice work Nichola!  When will tourists stop being attracted by these young animals?  As you say there is protection under Turkish Law!  It is animal Law No. 5199!  If they weren't such an 'CUTE' attraction they would not be in these places in the conditions they are in!  Also at the end of the season they would not be killed or dumped when they had outgrown their use!!

Offline peecee

Operation Goat Watch
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 04:34:27 AM »
Would be interesting to see the state of his garden if this kid has the run of it :D

Offline Linda

Operation Goat Watch
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 08:33:29 AM »
Yes well done Nichola .... I will keep my eyes peeled when driving past and report back. I have also heard that they have a sign asking for money to feed the goat  :o this is not allowed in Turkey. How about using the ALO179 service to report it Nichola?

Offline simpsons

Operation Goat Watch
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 09:45:55 AM »
Everyone feels sorry for this goat, but no one mentions that in a few months time, possibly it and others like it will be strung up in some back garden and have its throat slit. Now that is cruel if you have ever heard the goat screaming in fear.

Offline Linda

Operation Goat Watch
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 10:05:22 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by simpsons

Everyone feels sorry for this goat, but no one mentions that in a few months time, possibly it and others like it will be strung up in some back garden and have its throat slit. Now that is cruel if you have ever heard the goat screaming in fear.

The cruelty invloved is that this goat, from a very young kid, has been tied up on the steps of a restaurant instead of being able to graze and roam free in the fields under the watchful eye of a goat herder. With regard to the sacrifice of animals to which you infer, that is a different matter entirely and does not enter into the topic in question. We choose to live in a muslim country and must therefore accept their traditions and religious beliefs.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 10:06:04 AM by Linda »

Offline simpsons

Operation Goat Watch
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 11:09:59 AM »
This smacks of double standards. Hey, they can be cruel to animals in their customs and religion, (like my ex neighbour, who kept 2 goats and 2 kids locked up in a small shed, waiting for Bayram) but tie one up and everyone feels sorry for it. Yes, I am an animal lover, but as you so rightly put it, this is their country, so we should just accept it.

Offline Linda

Operation Goat Watch
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 11:43:05 AM »
quote:

This smacks of double standards. Hey, they can be cruel to animals in their customs and religion, (like my ex neighbour, who kept 2 goats and 2 kids locked up in a small shed, waiting for Bayram) but tie one up and everyone feels sorry for it. Yes, I am an animal lover, but as you so rightly put it, this is their country, so we should just accept it.

Sorry Simpsons I disagree as this goat being tied up is in the name of tourisim and has nothing to do with the countries religious beliefs and traditions. Most animals out here, such as sheep and goats, have lovely lives until they meet their demise being moved around all day by their owners to fresh pasture. It is always a pleasure to see and talk to the Turkish people minding their animals, however, there are always exceptions to every rule of course.

The goat is tethered to the steps of a restaurant so that people stop to pet it and the restaurant owners then have potential customers to lure inside. The same applies to cute little puppies in bars and dolphins in a pond. No animal should suffer in the name of tourisim [:(!]:-\

Offline simpsons

Operation Goat Watch
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 12:42:55 PM »
What I am saying Linda is that we live in a country with a different culture, standard of customs and living that we Brits are used to. Yes, I agree that this is cruel and should not happen, but it does. Take a look at the pet shops in Fethiye where puppies and kittens are kept 5 or 6 to a cage with hardly or no water. Also what about their dogs which are kept chained up all day in their gardens. Unfortuanatly, as I said, it is their country and we are only guests and no matter how we feel, they will always do what they want. quoting an old saying from this forum, 'They are turkish and can do what they want, We are British and do as we are told'.

Offline Linda

Operation Goat Watch
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 13:00:57 PM »
quote:

What I am saying Linda is that we live in a country with a different culture, standard of customs and living that we Brits are used to. Yes, I agree that this is cruel and should not happen, but it does. Take a look at the pet shops in Fethiye where puppies and kittens are kept 5 or 6 to a cage with hardly or no water. Also what about their dogs which are kept chained up all day in their gardens. Unfortuanatly, as I said, it is their country and we are only guests and no matter how we feel, they will always do what they want. quoting an old saying from this forum, 'They are turkish and can do what they want, We are British and do as we are told'.

Personally I am happy to live in a country that is very different from my own, which by the way, is far from perfect!

The Turks have very different ideas as to what a pet animal is, compared to us Brits. I choose to live in a foreign country and am therefore accepting of the differences. Of course Turks should be able to do want they want in their own country, albeit within in the law. If we choose to live here, then yes, we have to abide by their laws and ways of life - if that is being told what to do then so be it, I for one don't have a problem with it as it is my choice to live here.

You quote a neighbour who had his goats kept in a shed and dogs that are chained up all day. In the UK we had neighbours who treated dogs the same way. The RSPCA are run off their feet dealing with animal cruelty so let's not pretend that it is unique to Turkey!

All that withstanding, I still disagree with animals suffering in the name of tourisim. A year or so back there was a small monkey in Hisaronu for tourists to have their photogragh taken with. Years ago in Turkey it was dancing bears. Now a goat is being is being tethered to a restaurant step and dolphins are living in a pond - all this in the name of tourisim .... well not in my name and judging by the Dolphinarium campaign not in many tourists or residents names either!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 13:04:14 PM by Linda »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf