Author Topic: ipod help please  (Read 1981 times)

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
ipod help please
« on: July 07, 2010, 20:52:01 PM »
Mods- I'm sorry I know this isnt the correct section but I couldnt find one more pertinent.
I wonder if anyone can suggest help for a problem- lets just see if the wonders of the forum help with this?
My elderly partially sighted friend has just returned from Calis. She uses an Ipod for talking books and is lost without it on holiday particularly,  as I would be if someone knicked my Jackie Collins!
Anyway having charged it overnight she discovered her hard drive had been wiped- a possible side effect of overheating? In desparation and bearing in mind shes registered blind she went to the internet cafe managed to work her way through a website without the aid of her special software and got her books back!
When she returned home she discovered that her ipod is no longer recognised on her pc and the message is saying its corrupt and it has been locked.
Has this happened to anyone else who has perhaps got an ipod and used it via Turkish websites and then tried it on a UK one. You can see I dont know what the heck I'm talking about! Before she goes and spends £185 on a new one does anyone have any suggestions please?  :-\

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
ipod help please
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 21:54:22 PM »
It might be worth her doing a complete re-set. She will lose all her books I think but it might just save her from having to buy a new one.

To re- set it she need to hold down the centre button and the 'play' button at the same time. Hold them for a few seconds until the little apple sign appears and the ipod re-boots itself. The ipod will re-set itself and if the hard drive isn't beyond repair it should work again.

Offline Steve (redding43)

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
ipod help please
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 22:08:38 PM »
An ipod can only be updated by one PC. Therefore if it is linked to another PC running iTunes, all files on the ipod will be deleted (though you normally are warned of this). It sounds like the workaround bypassed this and therefore it is not surprising that the files are not recognised on the home pc.

Either follow the instructions above to reset or use the reset option in itunes. From there you will hopefully be able to restore its original settings (and books etc) from a backup that should have been done on itunes when it was last successfully updated

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
ipod help please
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 23:21:56 PM »
Thank you both I will pass it on. For interest she has restored to factory settings and its still not recognised on the pc will the reset option do something different?

Offline Akasya

ipod help please
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 21:29:06 PM »
Whaqt a really crap bit of software, as if anyone could possibly have more than one pc.

Steve.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf