Author Topic: Fundraising  (Read 3457 times)

Offline Boo

Fundraising
« on: September 14, 2010, 22:17:24 PM »
This was posted to me today on Facebook by my friends Lara and Patrick - I know a fair few of you will want to back them. All for a good cause!

"We are about to do something very silly, on 4th November 2010 we will be running 60km from the Dolphin pool in Hisaronu to Dalaman airport. For those of you that have been to our little part of Turkey you will know that the route is far from flat so this really is a challenge. For those of you that like statistics or know the route, a full marathon would take us to the toll barriers at the Gocek tunnel (the last 5km being up hill), so anything beyond this is just pure madness......

We have set this target for ourselves inspired by Eddie Izzards multi marathon feat for Sport Aid. As many of you know we started running 2 years ago after being shamed into doing something about our fitness level by a couple in their late 50's. We started running at just 300m, which was all Lara could manage without reaching for her inhaler. We are now running 3 half marathon per week as training, in order to run in ambient temperature of less than 30 Celsius we do this at 5am.

We aim to raise £20,000, half to go towards the rehabilitation of Misha and Tom, 2 bottle nosed dolphins rescued from a large swimming pool in Hisaronu. These dolphins have been taken to a rehabilitation centre off the Turkish coast and are being looked after by the Born Free Foundation, we need in total to feed and medicate these glorious mammals some £150,000, and so we hope to help some way towards this total. The other half of the money we hope to raise for Roy Castle Cancer Research, this is a cause close to our hearts as Patrick smoked for many years. Patrick will have been smoke free for 3 years this November and we hope that he will not need to make use of the research carried out by this wonderful organisation, but many people will.

We are raising money through JustGiving.com, the links to our 2 charities are below, please dig deep into your pockets and help us raise money for 2 very worthy causes. You can give by clicking on one (or both) of the links below, the money goes straight to our chosen charities." :)

http://www.justgiving.com/mishaandtom
http://www.justgiving.com/60km

Lara & Patrick's Dolphin Dash
www.justgiving.com
JustGiving - the easiest way to fundraise and donate to charity online

Offline Julesp

Fundraising
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 23:02:15 PM »
Wow, Im very impressed, I hope you raise your target for this cause I for one will certainly donate, Just doing the taxi to Dalaman is too depressing for me, No way would i run there.  ;)

Offline june

Fundraising
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 07:03:45 AM »
Yes that is very impressive and one that I definately will be donating to.

If you raise even half what you intend that will be amazing.

Good Luck.
x
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 12:13:17 PM by june »

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Fundraising
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 09:03:37 AM »
Absolutely amazing....good luck with such an impressive challenge.  I will certainly donate.  is there a FB page too ?

Offline karaokemark

• Chesterfield, UK
Fundraising
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 09:14:15 AM »
It is fantastic to raise that amount of money, but I agree with there first line "we are about to do something silly"
I have driven to Dalaman airport many times and have seen a lot of accidents, these roads with the blind bends are not suitable for running on.
That said I wish them all the luck in the world.
Mark

Offline Linda

Fundraising
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 11:51:09 AM »
Hats off to both Lara and Patrick for setting themselves this target in aid of two such great causes, both of which are very close to my heart.
I too thought that Eddie Izzard's multi marathon feat in aid of sports relief was truely inspirational and it's great to see how it has inspired others to undertake similar challenges.

I will be sponsoring Lara and Patrick and encouraging all my friends to do the same  8)
Boo - I have messaged you
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 12:28:20 PM by Linda »

Offline simpsons

Fundraising
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 19:21:31 PM »
Just a thought, but I wonder if Kerametin Yilmaz, or the Turkish government will be contributing any money, as they allowed this sorry affair in the first place.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Fundraising
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 22:53:53 PM »
Here is an article in this weeks Land of Lights about Patrick and Lara Elmwood who plan to run 60 kilometres to raise money for 2 charity organisations:

Roy Castle Lung Cancer Foundation - Patrick being an ex-smoker

Born Free (Hisarönü Dolphins Rehabilitation) - because in the village where Patrick & Lara live in Turkey, 2 dolphins (called Tom & Misha) were successfully rescued by Born Free from a small pool in Hisarönü, Fethiye and taken to an open sea rehabilitation enclosure.

http://www.landoflights.net/local-news/%e2%80%9cif-eddie-izzard-can-do-it-so-can-we%e2%80%9d-claim-expat-couple-preparing-to-run-a-gruelling-60km-for-charity-4697.html

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf