Author Topic: Own pool - worth it?  (Read 8441 times)

Offline rpg9000

Own pool - worth it?
« on: November 16, 2010, 13:25:33 PM »
I'd be interested from people with their own private pool - was it worth the additional investment and running costs, or does the novelty wear off?

Alternatively, to those that don't have their own pool - do you regret the decision at all, or do you just use the beach or strike up a deal with the nearest friendly hotelier.

When I first arrive out there on holiday I'm in and out of the hotel pool constantly for the first two or three days until I acclimatise, but then I venture farther afield to the beaches or boats and only take the occassional dip.

Just wondering....

Offline kizkucuk

Own pool - worth it?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 13:29:24 PM »
I don't have a pool- no regrets - I use the beach or pop round to one of the nearby hotels for a dip and a drink  :-)

Offline Eric

Own pool - worth it?
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 13:34:01 PM »
We have a pool, no regrets. You have to factor in the cost of chemicals and re-grouting it every 2 years or so, plus the cleaning of it around 2-3 times per week; but we are retired so what else is there to do? lol.  It is of great benefit during July and August when temps are unbearable, in and out of the pool every half hour.  As an extra, our dogs love it too.  Well worth the additional cost and after 4 years the novelty has not worn off.

Offline karaokemark

• Chesterfield, UK
Own pool - worth it?
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 14:08:27 PM »
Our first two places had a comunial pool whch was ok, when we decided to live here we wanted a private pool, I soon realised the private pool we have is not big enought to swim in, just for coolng off. When we decided we wanted to move again we have bought a villa with a shared pool betwwen 4 villas big enought to swim in.
 It is an hassle cleaning when it is 40 degrees even when you have nothing else to do.
Mark

Offline Julesp

Own pool - worth it?
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 14:18:55 PM »
I had an apartment with a pool shared with 6 apartments, none of my neighbours would help with the upkeep, I did all the cleaning etc myself, didnt really mind and quite enjoyed it
But in the 3 years of living there I didnt use it to swim in once! It was only ever used by visitors to my home and some of the neighbouring kids
Now I live in a house and dont have a pool to maintain, dont miss it a bit, if i get too hot while Im at home I just stick my head under the outdoor waterpump!

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Own pool - worth it?
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 14:41:32 PM »
We bought a Villa with a pool and would not now want to be without it.  We have a maintenance contract which includes the pool so we don't have to look after it ourselves.  
The thing we both like about the pool is the privacy and the convenience.  We can sit outside all day, pop in the house for drinks, snacks, have lunch by the pool, have a dip and then if we want to go into the house and get changed.   We don't have to share a pool with other people and we don't have to go to the beach, it's absolute heaven, cannot think of anything nicer than sitting quietly by the pool totally relaxed and reading a good book in peace with no distractions.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Own pool - worth it?
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 15:25:20 PM »
Ours was worth every penny. Never need to clean it and it looks great:

Offline busybee

Own pool - worth it?
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 16:50:59 PM »
We have our own pool and love it.  Its used daily and more.  Lovely to have a swim before going to bed to cool you off.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Own pool - worth it?
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 17:13:41 PM »
More than daily? :D

Offline brianthegardener

Own pool - worth it?
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 17:21:20 PM »
and at this time of year Busybee...brass monkeys comes to mind ,lol :) :) :) :o :o

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf