Author Topic: Positive experiences earning a living in Turkey?  (Read 8102 times)

Offline debbie

Positive experiences earning a living in Turkey?
« on: November 21, 2010, 10:39:59 AM »
Does anybody have any positive experiences earning a living in Turkey? We have read alot of the forums with interest, and feel a little disheartened. We have just accepted an offer on our house, and are excited to begin a new life! ( well we were!! ) My partner and I would love to buy a guesthouse or something similar. There is so much valuble advice on this forum for which we are grateful but feel there is a lot of 'negativity' even though we know it is there to help people. We would love to hear if there are any successful stories of people who have set up their own business. We are fairly youung and active,we dont want to retire and we dont have a pension so we need to  make our money work for us. We would love to hear from you. Thank you in advance

Debbie [8)]

Offline Diverbaz 1

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 10:50:24 AM »

Perhaps you should have done your research before you sold you house, you will be VERY lucky if you make a success of any business in Turkey. I'm sure others will be along shortly to confirm this.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 11:01:16 AM »
No, None. Sorry!

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 11:12:50 AM »
It's very hard to run a business in Turkey unless you are prepared to take on a Turkish partner. If you do the latter be very careful. Like any country there are those who are not to be trusted.

Turkey is a beautiful country but not many expats make a living by working there (legally).

Negative I know but you have to be realistic.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 11:20:07 AM »
You will try to work in a place where a large number of the important conversations happen right in front of you in a language you don't understand. This is probably the weakest business situation you will ever put yourself in. You rely on someone to tell you what was discussed or decided, and you have to believe that. That is a very strong position for the person doing the translation. You are entering into something where husbands and wives rip each other off, brothers to brothers, Turkish, British it doesn't matter one jot. Ask any Turkish hotelier - they can't go out for fear of fingers in the till, and your own staff's ways of scamming you are quite ingenious. You will enter a market that is already way overpopulated and you will struggle. If by some freak of nature you do well, your competitors will smile and wave and then report you for anything and everything. This can shut your special event down early one evening, shut you down for a week or ultimately have you taken to Dalaman and put on a plane, all courtesy of a free one way ticket. You can't return to get your possessions or sell your business. That's the main disadvantage, you aren't allowed to work there and if enough people report you, it has to be true - even if it isn't. Like Baz I also expect several members to follow after me and reply in similar fashion.

I rate your chances at nil, but because I am negative it doesn't mean that the forum is not here to help people. Your comment above is very strange. If you want positive comments only I'm sorry - we tend to deal in the truth here.

Good luck though!

Offline debbie

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 11:21:43 AM »
Hi - thanks for the advice - we havent sold our house purposely to move to Turkey - we have been renovating and selling properties for several years, the last 2 years we have been collecting information re relocating and living in another country, Turkey (Fethiye) being our first choice. We totally understand the pitfalls and dont expect an 'easy' ride but was just wondering if there have been any 'happy ending' cases???

Debbie

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 11:29:07 AM »
Debbie,

Much as I love Turkey - have you thought about France? Much easier to set up in another Euro member state and there are many properties that would convert into guest houses.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 11:30:11 AM »
I know of a few that seem to work well as a continuation of love and marriage (Turkish husband/British wife) but also many more of that combination that didn't. I can't think of any Turkish/British offhand outside that to survive permanently. I can think of dozens that didn't of course, and British/British is a combination there that is as likely to work as well as an igloo in the desert.

Offline debbie

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 12:00:13 PM »
Im from Jersey originally, have visited france on several occasions and cant say i was too impressed with the French! But then reading through a few threads on here re travelling back with pets there was a really enchanting diary of a couple spending 6 months in France who spoke really positively of the French, so I suppose its not to be ruled out! Our problem is we just love Turkey Fethiye in particular! :-(
Referring back to your comments Scunner, perhaps I didnt explain myself properly - we sooo appreciate the support and advice that is on here - just wanted to hear if anyone had any positive experiences setting up a business, I apologise if this was taken in the wrong context, its hard to come across in writing without people seeing your facial expressions :-)
Do expats renovate property and sell on??

Thank you all again for the valuble advice xx

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 12:04:25 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by debbie

Referring back to your comments Scunner, perhaps I didnt explain myself properly - we sooo appreciate the support and advice that is on here - just wanted to hear if anyone had any positive experiences setting up a business, I apologise if this was taken in the wrong context

No I apologise - I read it again and I see what you meant.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf