Author Topic: Turkish Tales  (Read 54017 times)

Online Highlander

• Prolific Member
Re: Turkish Tales
« Reply #220 on: January 08, 2017, 10:13:42 AM »
A great read Colwyn - thanks for taking the time to share.

I have to say it was a surprise to learn that the bout between Long Tall and Big Shorty lasted as long as 45 minutes !.

Offline mercury

• Prolific Member
« Reply #221 on: January 03, 2018, 00:06:20 AM »
Every week or so I hope that Colwyn writes another Turkish take.. His tales amongst the bears in sheds kept me viewing this forum.. Anything for 2018 as a treat Colwyn?

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #222 on: January 15, 2018, 17:15:37 PM »
Every week or so I hope that Colwyn writes another Turkish take.. His tales amongst the bears in sheds kept me viewing this forum.. Anything for 2018 as a treat Colwyn?
I'm sorry Mercury but my tales, however fanciful they might sound, are quarried from real events - I don't just make them up. But today, thinking about something entirely different, I was reminded of this Istanbul event. It is rather different, I think, observing something about class and status in Turkey - or it might just be the black pit of my soul.

A Visit to A University

The Rector’s building of Marmara University lies next to the Blue Mosque in Sutanahmet, central Istanbul.
A tremendous building in a gorgeous setting. [Rector is the Turkish equivalent of Vice Chancellor in UK: i.e. a university CEO]. A colleague, who had graduated from the university insisted on showing me around. We arrived at a double door, 8 foot high and made of solid heavy dark wood. My colleague, undeterred, hammered on the door with his fist  - making that wonderfully satisfactory deep echoing sound.

Eventually the University Porter arrived. (I would love to give a word sketch of a bent and twisted old retainer; but he was boringly middle aged and normal build). A small dispute arose, was resolved and eventually we were allowed into the building. I asked what had been going on. What follows is a free-and-easy translation of what I was told  in the style of TV's Lewis or Midsummer Murders  treatment of the English gentry/elite and which fits the body language.
“We are closed”
“Now look here my good man. I am a graduate of this University, my father is a very close personal friend of the Rector, and I wish to show my esteemed colleague around our ancient establishment. Open up immediately”.
“Oh well, alright, but don’t be too long.”
The interior was just as lush as the outside. A vast curving staircase up to the first floor, wood-panelled walled, and a giant crystal chandelier leading you up to a broad veranda from where the entrance vestibule could be surveyed (or speeches made). We left with another “Thank you my good man”.

As I was able to note a number of times there was hardly a limit to my colleague’s grand Ottoman style. My favourite was when I said how much I enjoyed Turkish bread: “Oh, my family doesn’t eat bread. Sniff”.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 17:30:46 PM by Colwyn »

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #223 on: July 08, 2018, 18:01:01 PM »
Cheap Cigarettes

Another thread with the same title running elsewhere reminded of me of one of my first experiences in Turkey. It was back in 1997 on a package holiday. I was very naive about Turkey and the holiday reps. filled my head with arrant nonsense about "you have to haggle for everything in Turkey". So one day I went into a mini-market on Calis prom and asked for a pack of cigarettes. They were handed over and I was told the price  - lets say it was 100,000tl (old money). "How about 80,000?" I asked. The shopkeeper looked at me as if I was mad. "We don't bargain for cigarettes" he said "The price is fixed by the government". I answered back, "Well you did yesterday". "Who served you?". "An older chap". The shopkeeper held a hand to his forehead and sighed. "That's my father. Oh dear. I shouldn't really leave him by himself in the shop. He's getting past it.  No deals today - it's 100,000tl for the cigarettes". I apologized and paid up.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf