Author Topic: Turkey on TV................Channel 4  (Read 5659 times)

Offline gunna

• Aldershot, UK
Turkey on TV................Channel 4
« on: January 10, 2011, 11:41:52 AM »
Hi all, something to see on UK television this week every night starting at 5PM to 6PM (UK time)...7PM TO 8PM (Turkey time)

Celebrity Five go to Turkey...........Channel four Monday to Friday this week only also on the internet on 4OD

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 17:47:43 PM »
It's only half way through first programme and I am appaled at how disrespectful some of the (has been)"celebrities" are. Emma totally disrepected the protocol for visiting a mosque. She was refusing to cover up her shorts and cover her heavily tatooed shoulders and arm. Yuk!. Russel Grant's first question to the guide was "where are all the gay clubs!"
:(

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 19:09:18 PM »
I agree 100% Tokes, I have no religious beliefs to speak of but would do everything I possibly could to respect the advice given when visiting a mosque. It was baffling to see such an aggressive, unaccommodating position from a "born again Christian" to another religion - although nomark Z list celebrity is a little better as a description.

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 19:45:54 PM »
Did you honestly expect anything more from a couple of 'has beens'?
It's just another way to get their mughsots back in the lime light for another fifteen minutes of fame.

Offline marina

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 21:14:59 PM »
Won't be wasting any more time watching that again!  :-\

Two particularly awful people in Emma (celeb?? - never heard of her) and Russell Grant.  So disrespectful to the Turkish people and their customs and culture.  Emma didn't want to cover up to go into the mosque 'because God made me beautiful' - in your dreams love!!  ;)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 21:37:43 PM »
I still have no idea who this Emma is!

I did think Turkey would benefit from the programme though, the Turkish tour guide was very engaging and passionate. You then have to hope there are more people interested in Turkey than shopping.

Offline marina

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 21:46:18 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

I did think Turkey would benefit from the programme though, the Turkish tour guide was very engaging and passionate. You then have to hope there are more people interested in Turkey than shopping.

Just what I thought too Scunner.  The guide was typical of many Turkish people in being so proud of his country that he could talk all day about it.  But I have my doubts whether Turkey will actually get any benefit from it.

If anyone manages to watch all the programmes can they let us know please? :D

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 21:56:22 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by marina

I have my doubts whether Turkey will actually get any benefit from it.

No I have no doubts on that score Glenys. My opinion has always been that the people that have never been to Turkey often think it is a country populated by people in white flowing clothing with big black bushy beards with a camel out the back. Indeed, bringing friends and family who had that opinion over was one of the joys of living there - we used to ask them what their idea of Turkey was as we drove back from Dalaman Airport - we got the camels/sand/curly shoes responses then took them off to the Post Office or later the Bus Stop for a first experience ever of Turkey.

In short, programmes that show Turkey to be more like Europe and less like Baghdad are all helping the profile. Only the ignorant think Turkey is that way - and even I was that ignorant once!

Offline tel

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 07:05:57 AM »
Prog was terrible I agree.The american Emma was so disrespectful even removing her head covering inside the mosque,dreadful display and as for Russel Grant,omg. Should have got two different people with the Greek guy (who) and Jan Leeming. I guess someone will be departing soon if anybody has the time to waste watching anymore. Lets hope its the two idiots.

Offline marina

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 10:36:59 AM »
Yes Keith, we were the same ignorant people until we were dragged there by friends on holiday many years ago now and fell in love with the country, it's people, it's history, the whole culture.  But we go there and accept and respect all that.  

I understand what you are saying about these programmes 'educating' people about what Turkey can offer which is good but then again how many people holiday/buy homes/live in Turkey because it is that bit different to other European holiday destinations? I'd like to see more programmes getting this point across, that you can have fantastic holidays in some lovely resorts but also don't have to travel too far to experience something quite different to anywhere else.  

My only gripe about publicising the 'commercial' side of Turkey is the rise in the number of people who go to 5 star all inclusive resorts, never leave the side of the pool and claim to have 'seen Turkey'.  

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf