Author Topic: Council tax  (Read 10425 times)

Offline joannasal

Council tax
« on: February 09, 2011, 05:10:17 AM »
Can any one explain how the council tax is calculated? I have just paid mine for the year and it was a lot of money. Not knowing any better, it did not concern me too much until 2 friends who live literally a 5 minute walk away told me how much they had paid and both were considerably less than me. I am not talking about 50 TL, but one friend paid 259 TL less than me and the other friend was about 300 TL less than me! That is a big difference.

Thanks in advance for any information any one gives me!

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Council tax
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 05:54:03 AM »
Did you have your road re surfaced in 2010?....some people paid for this with their tax  last year and some didn't....so will probably get clobbered this year. There seemed to be no logic in the amounts charged for this. Lots of discussion on the Forum about this

Offline joannasal

Council tax
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 07:09:07 AM »
The roads have not been resurfaced but occasionally a truck comes up and 'fills in' the pot holes - which lasts about a month! They were done in November, got washed away withthe rains and were topped up again a week ago.
The other strange thing is that my friends' Turkish neighbour (whose apartment is an exact mirror image of hers) has only paid 50 TL! Work that one out!
I think next week we are going to go and ask at the tax offices and see if we can at least get an explanation. Thanks for your reply.

Offline Bim

Council tax
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 07:52:02 AM »
Hi is there a guide or lealfter etc RE:Council tax charge, (like uk) - how do we no that we are not paying more than we should.. lots of questions, & no money :0)thanks..

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Council tax
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 11:58:30 AM »
Council tax is based on how much you paid for your apartment not the value.  Remember too that if there are two names on the tapu you pay double.
We were well clobbered for road tax last year, over 300tl more than anyone else on our complex and had no choice but to pay it:(

Offline margob

Council tax
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 12:20:18 PM »
I thought counsil tax was due in May have I got it wrong again.

Offline Bim

Council tax
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 13:31:41 PM »
Hi many thanks for the update - pity UK dont use the same formula....

Offline sunnyd

Council tax
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 13:37:37 PM »
Council tax is calculated from the declared value of your property, (Approximately 0,5% based on the declared value of property) and if there are 2 names on the tapu you do not pay double, the amount is divided by 2...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 13:50:38 PM by sunnyd »

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Council tax
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 13:44:58 PM »
When we queried our CT Nikki we were told by the guy in the office that the amount showing as 'paid' on your tapu is what it's based on.
Ours states 50k which is actually more than we paid beleive it or not.  We must be one of the few like this as most on our complex actually have tapus stating much less than they paid therefor pay lower council tax.
We were also told the same rules applied to the road tax.

Almost six years on and still confused.com :-\

Offline sunnyd

Council tax
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 13:45:31 PM »
aswell as the calculation from the property, the area also comes into consideration for the community tax that is included in the final council tax amount.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf