Author Topic: Consular petition.  (Read 7962 times)

Offline Dutchie

Consular petition.
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 14:39:14 PM »
Fair enough, I understand and have filled in my real name.

Well actually...not my real name...since we Dutch have this ridiculous naming system which gives us old fashion names at birth that are only registered in your passport and never to be used again.

Wilhelmina is the official variety but in daily life I go by the name of Miriam :-)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Consular petition.
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 14:45:20 PM »
Do they not give you a surname in the Netherlands either? Look, this is taking over the topic. I see you are making a stand and feel you need different rules to the 8,500 other members. I won't reply again in this topic but real name and surname by 15:00 UK time or we'll agree to differ and go our separate ways. Thanks.

Offline vinvola

Consular petition.
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 14:59:25 PM »
This is unbelievable. For such an important post and for someone to take it over bickering about registering their details. Now I have seen it all.
I must add that I believe that Fira is right. If the laws were in place then we would not have to believe what the bent lawyers are telling us. As for foreign people living in the UK, we all know how the British government has bent over backwards to accommodate them. All the ex-pat community here are asking for is respect for their wishes when they die.
Again I must stress that as well as commenting here please leave a message our our website.

Offline Dutchie

Consular petition.
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 15:00:49 PM »
I'm not trying to make a stand.

You yourself have ... as a last name.

If this is such a big issue for you, feel free to suspend my subscription since I won't be filling out my real last name.
I've got no objections to people on this forum knowing who I am but I don't want other people to find me here just by googling my name. There is such a thing called 'privacy'.

And if you feel the need to suspend me, I assume that you will check all 8500 names whether they are real or not. Just by clicking on a few member in this topic alone I've come across some rather strange surnames...

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Consular petition.
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 15:07:26 PM »
I'd love to stay and chat but I have two 10 year olds coming home soon who use the very same arguments as you do, I'll argue with them about how unfair it is that x, y or z has this or that and they don't and it's not fair. For the record, people who didn't give their name in their profile joined before it became compulsory. I could trawl the streets of Fethiye and Europe and get them to come back and do so but I think that might be a fairly wasteful use of my time. I don't give my surname because everyone knows me  :) I asked nicely and respectfully throughout and you chose not to so goodbye, can't say you didn't have the chance to comply.

One thing I have learned in 8 years of doing this is that an opinion unsupported by the author's name is worth nothing and should be erased from the memories of all who read it. Now I apologise once more for taking things off topic and hope it can return.

Offline Firo

Consular petition.
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 15:36:12 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchie

@Firo, apparently you have come across a dodgy lawyer but that has nothing to do with trying to change the inheritance law or does it?

Like I wrote before...I understand where the commitee is coming from but somehow it seems strange - and to be honest - rather arrogant as well.

Well I guess you have never been caught out by anyone, how clever of you and I must state that there are many hundreds of others who have made Turkish wills with different lawyers so there must be an awful lot of "dodgy lawyers " around the area.
Speak to me on this subject, when you have hit over 50yrs of age and when,who you leave your worldly goods to becomes an issue, that's if you are still in Turkey!
There is nothing arrogant about wanting what you've been promised & paid for, which is something you will no doubt learn with time.

Offline milliemars

Consular petition.
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 15:51:03 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchie

@Firo, apparently you have come across a dodgy lawyer but that has nothing to do with trying to change the inheritance law or does it?

Like I wrote before...I understand where the commitee is coming from but somehow it seems strange - and to be honest - rather arrogant as well.

We have also had Turkish wills made, on the recommendation of many people here.Everyone that was involved with ours from the Translater to the Notary whom all took our money said nothing about,the Turkish judge will just change your wishes to Turkish Laws.So I don,t think it is arrogant,for us to want our wishes adhered to.I just feel once again what you pay for here is not always what you get,oh and by the way you are not the only Dutch living in Ovacik

Offline Dutchie

Consular petition.
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 20:06:45 PM »
I have been living in Turkey for a long time and I've heard and seen a lot but the country continues to surprise me.

How shocking that a lawyer - or apparently - several lawyers, certified translators and notaries have all be involved in such a rip off and have more or less committed fraud.

The Turkish inheritance law is quite similar to the Dutch law which means that you are not really able to change your beneficiaries. If you for example cut a son or daughter out of your will, he/she still has the right to claim the heritance. With that knowledge, the Turkish law doesn't seem strange to me.

I have no knowledge about the UK heritance law but if you are actually able to chose your beneficiaries the Turkish law might seem strange to you. And - as apparently has been the case with you - if you have been made to believe that you could change your beneficiaries, I fully understand your anger and your desire to change the law.

My initial reaction was based upon the fact that foreigners are trying to change a Turkish law that most Turkish people seem to agree with.

@Firo, I have been fortunate enough not to have come across dodgy lawyers. Personally I don't think that age is really a matter since we are all mortal.

@Milliemars, I haven't claimed to be the only Dutch living in Ovacik. I wrote that I was the only Dutch that I knew of. (Actually meeting other Dutch people was the reason for me to join this forum but that is off topic).

To continue briefly off topic, I would like to thank Scunner for allowing me to finish this discussion. I'll be leaving this forum because of privacy issues but I wish you the best on this forum and I sincerely hope that you will be able to resolve your heritance issues.

Selamlar,

Miriam

Offline quackers

Consular petition.
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 20:21:57 PM »
I went with a neighbour to a Solicitor for him to make his will. He was told by the Solicitor although he wanted to leave his Villa solely to 1 son, after his death the other 3 remaining children would be entitled, in Turkish law, to object and get a share of his property.The only way out of this was for him to sell his property to his son and register the deeds in his sons name.

Offline scorcher

Consular petition.
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2011, 08:41:55 AM »
Pleased to say that I've never had a "dodgy" Advocaat !

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf