Author Topic: Scotland  (Read 6077 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Scotland
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2012, 18:41:04 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Colwyn

So it would be better to leave representation to that supremely accomplished statesman and diplomat Dave Cameron? Blimey, I hadn't realized Salmond was that bad close up.

I have warmed a little to David Cameron. He seems more competent than I remember. Not because of anything he has said or done, just since the day Ed Milliband became Labour leader.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Scotland
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2012, 18:44:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

I have warmed a little to David Cameron. He seems more competent than I remember.
Do you think the competent Cameron is a secret supporter of Scottish Independence then? He must have added at least 10,000 votes to the "Yes" campaign in the last 48 hours.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Scotland
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2012, 18:48:17 PM »
What is Ed Milliband's opinion on this - is it the same as his opinion on everything else? I'm a life long Labour supporter (although I don't vote for them here :D ) and the man is an idiot.

Offline braveheart

Scotland
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2012, 19:04:07 PM »
Highlander
Trust me some things never seem to change - for those of us that remember our National devolution referundum during March 1979 (for those not around at the time check out what happened in that instance) - I do hope that his time around we get the opportunity to play on a 'level playing field' without London loading the issue to suit their own political gains

quote:
Originally posted by Highlander

As I understand it, negotiations will begin only after a "yes" vote.

How, in heavens name, am I meant to make a valued judgment on a deal when I don't know what the deal is.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Scotland
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2012, 20:01:59 PM »
Tell me if the Oil Capital of Europe linked to the Major White fish port in Europe and these
places where in England do you think that for 35 years there would have be a single road most of the 25 miles and no rail links, with a bus every hour?
Salmond is a charming man and so nice to speak to, he fills you full of confidence when you are with him, but that is all I can say in his favour.  He is shallow and only interested in Salmond.
We live near Peterhead the main white fish port in Europe 25 miles away is Aberdeen, Europe's Oil Capital. To get from Peterhead to Aberdeen, there is no train, Dr Beeching saw to that. The road is in an agricultural area, so lots of tractors. Also Peterhead is a base for the Oil Service Industry so lots of lorries going back and forth to from Port to Port taking items to the supply ships. The 25 mile stretch of road has two very small areas of dual carriageway, the rest of the road is two way.
Mr. Salmond, the local MSP promised about 25 years ago to make the whole road dual carriageway and ease the congestion, which was only right for such a busy road. Guess what? he never did. I know so many people who have felt let down and aggrieved by this neglect. I could mention so many things not done in this area. If some of the people in other areas of Scotland had lived with Mr. Salmond as their local MSP they would soon change their minds about him and his party.  If he promises to sort out local issues and cannot, what chance National Issues?

Offline braveheart

Scotland
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2012, 20:49:31 PM »
Jacqui
I symathise with your sentiments (and I am sure many Scots around our Nation can associate themselves with your words)
On the other side of our Nation and similar to yourself - today I have just travelled along the A75 which is the main Euro/Irish  Scotland route (mega trucks trundelling thro small villages 24/7 with approximately 2 miles of duel carraigway dotted here and there) these problems have developed over the last few decades - not during Salmond's time
An utter disgreace - this would not happen south of the Watford Gap
Dumfriesshire has been in the hands of our illustrios Tories for 99% of my life-time while our country has been in the hands of of McMillan, Douglas Hume, Wilson, Heath, Callagher, Thatcher, Blair, Brown and lately our Mr Cameron I do NOT THINK FOR ONE SECOND that a continued London Westminster presence is going to make any change to our dilemas
Maybe - just maybe - we can have the courage to carry a vote for some change - otherwise advise me of the alternative??

PS
When considering any advice please keep in mind that I am no spring chicken - therefore any propsed changes to our past non-events need to be pretty swift!!

quote:
Originally posted by Jacqui Harvey

Tell me if the Oil Capital of Europe linked to the Major White fish port in Europe and these
places where in England do you think that for 35 years there would have be a single road most of the 25 miles and no rail links, with a bus every hour?
Salmond is a charming man and so nice to speak to, he fills you full of confidence when you are with him, but that is all I can say in his favour.  He is shallow and only interested in Salmond.
We live near Peterhead the main white fish port in Europe 25 miles away is Aberdeen, Europe's Oil Capital. To get from Peterhead to Aberdeen, there is no train, Dr Beeching saw to that. The road is in an agricultural area, so lots of tractors. Also Peterhead is a base for the Oil Service Industry so lots of lorries going back and forth to from Port to Port taking items to the supply ships. The 25 mile stretch of road has two very small areas of dual carriageway, the rest of the road is two way.
Mr. Salmond, the local MSP promised about 25 years ago to make the whole road dual carriageway and ease the congestion, which was only right for such a busy road. Guess what? he never did. I know so many people who have felt let down and aggrieved by this neglect. I could mention so many things not done in this area. If some of the people in other areas of Scotland had lived with Mr. Salmond as their local MSP they would soon change their minds about him and his party.  If he promises to sort out local issues and cannot, what chance National Issues?

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Scotland
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2012, 21:02:48 PM »
Does anyone seriously believe that monies in a fully independant Scotland would be spent anywhere other than in the Central belt.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Scotland
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2012, 21:40:19 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

What is Ed Milliband's opinion on this ... the man is an idiot.
"Idiot" seems a trifle harsh, although his performance and vision have disappointed me so far. I haven't voted Labour since 1994 - not after it became New Labour (aka Tory Lite). I thought I would give this new incarnation of the party four or five years to re-shape things. I realized nothing was likely to emerge quickly - you can't fight to win an election, end up losing, go through a bruising party leadership election, and come up with a credible alternative strategy (i.e. alternative to to the incumbent government AND alternative to your previous party failure) all in a couple of years. I hope things start to develop otherwise I'll be voting for one of those "fringe parties" and have no impact on the result in the next General Election - in my case this will almost certainly mean the Green Party. For the moment I think Miliband would be sensible to say (a) he supports the unity (alleged) of the United Kingdom and (b) he supports the Scots' right to vote upon this and - most important - (c) he will keep his English nose out of how they do this.

Offline dycedon

Scotland
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2012, 06:35:32 AM »
Braveheart, i agree with your last post, ref tories etc. but running a country is all about sustainability (if there is such a word) and i just cant see where the money is going to come from because there is not a hope in hell of westminster releasing their grip on oil revenue as it one of the biggest earners, whisky revenue, money there but not enough, i am old enough to remember the 79 fiasco, that was the chance and probably at that time we could have made a go of it but here and now i dont really think so.

Offline braveheart

Scotland
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2012, 09:01:46 AM »
Better the central belt than London !!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Highlander

Does anyone seriously believe that monies in a fully independant Scotland would be spent anywhere other than in the Central belt.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf