Author Topic: Getting some decent T.V. whilst on holiday  (Read 10771 times)

Offline milorni

Re: Getting some decent T.V. whilst on holiday
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 11:00:14 AM »
Could someone please explain to me how you re-scan your receiver? I've also lost a few channels and could do with some tv for when I'm out again shortly.

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 11:42:43 AM »
I am not sure that will solve the problem as we have had some heavy wind recently and I know a few people who have had problems including me   :)

I have done a rescan (tends to be slightly different as you would expect with each box) but it didn't cure the problem so tomorrow I am going to my TV man near the sanayi and he will realign the dish (which I am pretty sure is the problem - it has moved slightly in the wind) and I suspect that will cost me 30 TL - which is well worth it.

He has one of these "meters" around his neck as he gets on the roof and tunes the dish to the appropriate satellite (in my case NILESAT) to make sure we are getting the right reception.

In my case just Al Jazeera and Bloomberg and very occasionally BBC are getting a distorted picture for a few minutes and then at other times they are fine so I am sure it is alignment. Interestingly we were in a cafe last night and a chap was telling the owner he had "exactly the same problem as me" and the owner had introduced him to a young lad who went home with him on a scooter and got on the roof to look at the dish. They came back and I overheard the chap say "he has taken the box away and will return it in the morning".

I hope I am wrong but I think this is a realignment problem not a box problem.

If you want I will get the Turkish word for realignment and put it on here but I would only do it with someone who had the meter as without the right tools it must be "trial and error" and prone to be a temporary repair.

Ian

Offline Libra

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 15:26:55 PM »
The Turkish word for "realignment" is "çanak ( chanak ) ayari" or "anten ayari".

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 17:09:59 PM »
The Turkish word for "realignment" is "çanak ( chanak ) ayari" or "anten ayari".

Many thanks - very useful

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 19:43:28 PM »
There was an excellent idea on CBF (and I can't quite remember who posted it) but basically they record a large number of UK series (in the UK) using a Freeview+ box (perhaps things they wouldn't normally watch but would do if they had time) then bring the box to Turkey, plug it in and the job's a good un no cables, dishes, nowt - got to be better than BBC Prime or whatever they call it now. You can series record all those old classics like Minder on ITV3 (and Only Fools and Horses on Gold). I thought it was a brilliant idea.

I got an email today with Freeview+ recorder boxes for £40ish - reply if you are interested and I'll try to remember where!!!

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 19:52:21 PM »
We have 2 dishes installed so that we get a better choice of channels

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 22:23:06 PM »
O.K. Keith good idea and worth thinking about, only problem is when the footie is on would have to go down to town to watch it.   

Offline Marggie

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2012, 08:59:39 AM »
Freeview + box sounds like an excellent idea, I would be grateful if you could post the name of the supplier Keith.  Thanks in anticipation.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2012, 12:20:17 PM »
Hi Marggie

No problem - it may be a refurb and it may be a Bush but at £40 you could deal with it if they wanted to take it off you at Dalaman (although I doubt very much they could be bothered to).

http://www.bigpockets.co.uk/product.php?title=Bush-320GB-Freeview+-Digital-TV-Recorder&product=C-BUSH-320

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2012, 13:18:54 PM »
Hi Marggie

No problem - it may be a refurb and it may be a Bush but at £40 you could deal with it if they wanted to take it off you at Dalaman (although I doubt very much they could be bothered to).

http://www.bigpockets.co.uk/product.php?title=Bush-320GB-Freeview+-Digital-TV-Recorder&product=C-BUSH-320

Thanks Keith. I have ordered one today.  Will let you know how we get on.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf