Author Topic: Which tv package/system is best and at what cost please?  (Read 11405 times)

Offline Carolyn1957

Which tv package/system is best and at what cost please?
« on: June 22, 2012, 10:22:17 AM »
Hi.

I'm looking for some advice please from you good folks please!

We've managed with an ordinary free-to-view digibox and two dishes for quite a while now but are getting fed up with the ever decreasing number of English speaking channels and getting more and more "service is scrambled" or "no signal" on channels that were there a few days earlier.

What other options are there please, and what do you recommend? Friends have Digiturk and seem reasonably happy with it. I am a concerned about some of the horror stories when people have tried to cancel it or being threatened with court action if they don't return boxes already returned!

How about dreambox? Is it expensive to install and what about annual/monthly costs?

I am signed up to VPN so can use i-player etc but find the slow speeds and loss of bandwidth at peak times a complete pain!

Thank you

Offline hotlips

• Stupid is as stupid does
Re: Which tv package/system is best and at what cost please?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 11:36:40 AM »
We have Digiturk which is great for US comedy, sport and some nature programmes. It also shows old US x factor and US got talent etc. We don't watch it much now and of course very little in the summer.

I do download from BBC i player and then watch the programmes through the TV (by plugging in with hdmi cable) this will avoid the buffering problem.

Another option is to download via a torrent download site such as thepiratebay.com or isohunt. We transfer the download onto a media player attached to the TV and that avoids having to plug the computer in. You can get all sorts of stuff that way - films, tv series (The Sheild, Game of Thrones, Desperate Housewives) in fact anything that is on TV really (the more current it is the more likely you will be able to download it quickly)

Haven't gone down the full satellite package route yet to get say forces tv which shows a version on BBC and ITV, but am sure someone has already talked about this on a previous thread.

Offline grahamturner09

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 17:14:06 PM »
If you have broadband you can get TVcatchup will need a site to hide IP address will give you all UK channels

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 08:50:04 AM »
If you have broadband you can get TVcatchup will need a site to hide IP address will give you all UK channels

Best site for hiding your IP address is UKTV Access at £3.99 / month if you prepay 3 months or £4.99 / month otherwise

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 08:43:39 AM »
We have filmon. As u dont need a VNP tunnel the speed doesnt slow down. It used to be free but if you want a full size picture now it is 149 pounds for a year. We have been watching it for about a year and have never had a problem with it even. You can still watch it for nothing on a laptop but we want it on our TV screen and you can download onto a player for later viewing. YOu can also pay monthly if u want to.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 08:46:05 AM »
We know 2 couples who have bought the dreambox system and really regret it now. Thery wish they hadnt bothered.

Offline starman

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 11:10:02 AM »
I use bit torent and apple tv. Best media player by far out there and reads from a large hard drive off the wireless network. Together with this I have a "hide my ass" VPN which is around 11 USD per month but gives you UK, US or other country ip addresses so you can watch live TV. I can even use my iphone to watch live UK telly or youtube via VPN and with a touch on the phone screen, it transfers to my big TV via apple TV. Best 99 USD I have spent for an apple device.
I also have 2 digiturk accounts but it is overpriced in my opinion.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 11:36:39 AM by starman »

Offline mary62

• Growing old disgracefully.
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 11:47:35 AM »
We know 2 couples who have bought the dreambox system and really regret it now. Thery wish they hadnt bothered.
Is it true that you can no longer get ITV anymore on Dreambox? If so it would appear that people who bought the dreambox system wasted their money. Firstly, dreambox stopped BFBS about 2 years ago, and now ITV. I know a few folk who bought this system simply to get British TV (without having to have a huge sat dish) . I know you can get shed loads of channels with it, but, if you can only get channel 4 from the UK it really is a waste of money.

Offline jonuzumlu

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 13:01:49 PM »
As someone who enjoys watching sport on TV I consider it to be a bargain. ;D 8)

Offline billy3107

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 11:59:18 AM »
Totally agree loads of sport english football sky movies sky sports  news channels discovery etc

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf