Author Topic: Olu Deniz now and then photos  (Read 4354 times)

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
Olu Deniz now and then photos
« on: August 07, 2012, 12:30:48 PM »
The last couple of Days found a few Photos that took my eye.  Olu Deniz taken by Orhan and another just taken from Facebook but 1969.   both amazing.

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
Re: Olu Deniz now and then photos
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 15:53:17 PM »
they are Loz would love to see more. My late brother in law and his wife were pioneers of Turkey- even predating us and first went to OluDeniz in the early 80's when there was little there at all and loved it! Bet it was amazing.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 16:54:29 PM »
Lovely to see but I'm convinced it is not an old black and white photo from the 60s Loz - because here it is before the colour was drained out of it:

http://www.fethiye.co.uk/about-fethiye/old-fethiye.html?start=7

Still shows how incredibly quickly Olu Deniz went from backwater to international resort. In 1980 there was one hotel and three camp sites, and that was it  :)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 17:58:40 PM »
I saw that "old" picture in colour about 8 years ago.

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 18:37:01 PM »
I have seen the colour one many a time, usually in the photographers shops in Fethiye.

In 2004 out of season we took our neighbour to Olu Deniz, he would tell us stories of his travels and how he befriended a family he met on the beach, this was going back to the 1960's, he stayed with them in one of the farms nearby and on his return to the UK he paid for their son's education ensuring his studies into University.  Our neighbour told us that he was upset as he lost touch with the family during his work abroad during the 1980's 1990's,  We drove back to Fethiye to have a browse of the shops, when we could hear someone yelling "Mr Tony! Mr Tony!" This chap run up to Tony flung himself at him they were hugging and both crying, Tony turned to us and said "This is the young man I put through School, the young man was now in his late 30'-40 years old, now a business man in Fethiye; this banishing all my doubt of the story his had just related to us. 

However, Tony called Olu Deniz Olly Dolly, he was not impressed, we later took him back during the season, he was even less impressed and refused ever to return in or out of season.  The photo beit black and white or colour is very similar to the one he showed us. farms, fields, dirt tracks and absolutely nothing else,  BLISS!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf